CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

How Bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 Sport, Ferrari 348 Challenge, 2017 Mazda CX/9, 2005-Ducati-999 Superbike
How Bad?

Am thinking of picking up either a CL500 or most likely a CL55 AMG, 2003 on up to 2005. The deals out there are too good to pass up... But that's just it, how bad are these to own, I already have owned 3 Ferrari's, still have the the third, and am use to high maintenance cost. But the Mercedes would be a daily driver, about 5K to 6K miles per year, and the question is How Bad are these to own. Every thing I read and hear is that they are not at all reliable with much electrical problems, most of the ones out there are not available with a warranty except if you buy an aftermarket one (are those any good, does anyone on the board have one of those policies). Am looking at anything with under 40K miles on it and super clean cars and know that the motors and tranny are bullit proof, its everything else I read about these great cars that worries me.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by albert328gts
Am thinking of picking up either a CL500 or most likely a CL55 AMG, 2003 on up to 2005. The deals out there are too good to pass up... But that's just it, how bad are these to own, I already have owned 3 Ferrari's, still have the the third, and am use to high maintenance cost. But the Mercedes would be a daily driver, about 5K to 6K miles per year, and the question is How Bad are these to own. Every thing I read and hear is that they are not at all reliable with much electrical problems, most of the ones out there are not available with a warranty except if you buy an aftermarket one (are those any good, does anyone on the board have one of those policies). Am looking at anything with under 40K miles on it and super clean cars and know that the motors and tranny are bullit proof, its everything else I read about these great cars that worries me.
albert,
Welcome to the forum.

I must say, if you've previously owned a Ferrari, then by comparison CL maintenance will feel like Toyota maintenance.

Not saying that CL maintenance is cheap by any means, but it is cheaper than a Ferrari for sure. For one, you don't need to worry about engine out timing belt replacements. I've poked around a few Ferrari forums when I was considering a 328/348/456 (wide range I know). These guys would post that they were happy to have a service invoice that was under $10,000 !!

For the CL, you have your standard maintenance, oil, other fluids, filters and are categorized as A-Service and B-Service, ranging from $200-$500 respectively for each service. These are annual.

Then you have stuff that fails once in a while with costs varying. Some of the more common that I've seen on this forum are:

ABC Pump
ABC Hoses
ABC Valve Blocks
MAF Sensor
O2 Sensors
Catalytic Converters
Shift Control Module
Transmission Control Module
SAMs
COMAND issues

I personally don't have a warranty on my vehicle. I had a 2 year MB warranty that expired and during that duration, the costlier components already were replaced, like the ABC pump. Post warranty, I do all maintenance and repairs that i'm capable of myself and outsource the big items when necessary.

These cars are truly great to own and the prices nowadays makes it even more compelling to pick one up.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
5k to 6k miles per year should be no problem. I was doing that every other month. At 30,000 miles a year, it's not a good daily driver.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:02 PM

2014 E350 Sport, Ferrari 348 Challenge, 2017 Mazda CX/9, 2005-Ducati-999 Superbike
How Bad,

Thanks for the welcome, this forum is as instructive as Fchat, I did not expect the Cl55 to be as high as a F car, but it seems the electrical gremlins do live in it. So, basic maintenance and think about some other issues that will come up.
Great, anyone here ever bought one of those after market warranties?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:54 PM

E90 N54 & W251
Thanks for the welcome, this forum is as instructive as Fchat, I did not expect the Cl55 to be as high as a F car, but it seems the electrical gremlins do live in it. So, basic maintenance and think about some other issues that will come up.
Great, anyone here ever bought one of those after market warranties?

There are a few members that have bit the bullet on aftermarket warranties. Experiencies have been both really good and really bad. Alot of these aftermarket warranty companies are sleazy in their business practices, but there are a few good ones that honor the obligations to their customers. My only advice to you is to shop around heavily and only go with a solid and reputable company. I've heard only good things about the diamler chrysler warranty (it's not starmark). Do a search on the forum for warranties and you'll find a wealth of information.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the information on warranties, I will look into the Daimler Warranty, that is not starmark.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:14 PM

E90 N54 & W251
Thanks for the information on warranties, I will look into the Daimler Warranty, that is not starmark.
NP man. Ideally starmark is the best, but you can't get it unless you're the first owner and still covered under bumper-to-bumper. The diamler is the second best choice IMO.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:40 PM

2004 CL55
Personally, I think 'not at all reliable' is going a little too far. My own, and I realize this is just me, has been very reliable, and I have put about 30,000 miles on it in the last year and a half. 2004 CL55 now with 76k on the clock.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Patentmat
Personally, I think 'not at all reliable' is going a little too far. My own, and I realize this is just me, has been very reliable, and I have put about 30,000 miles on it in the last year and a half. 2004 CL55 now with 76k on the clock.
THATS GREAT NEWS TO HEAR, I keep hearing that YOU HAVE TO HAVE one that is certified or not at all, and 2003 to 2005 cant find one that is certified. Are you the original owner? 2nd owner? What is to be expected in expenses per year or 6000 miles per year?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CL500
I agree with Patentmat! Mine is a 03 CL500 with 50 000km and it has been nothing but a dream. I had a 01 CL500 and it had close to 80 000km and never any problems other then routine maintenance that I remember so if there was something it wasnt a big deal. I never had any ABC problems on either car. But again, I do my maitenance religiously and I do it myself so I know it gets done right!
My car has been expense free for its entire life except for routine maitenence