CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Suspension - CL vs S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 12:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Suspension - CL vs S

Further to my thread about ride quality in the CL, I was wondering if anyone knows if the CL and S class chassis share many suspension components.

I'm wondering if the struts from an S600 (w/ ABC) could be installed in a CL to give the S class ride...

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500 and S500
davepl:

I am not sure if the struts from the S600 will fit the CL600. The S-Class cars being a longer wheelbase will float more than the CL-Class cars. Since you have the Sport package, if you want a more a float ride. I would change the wheels and tires to "17 (5 Double Spoke Design), maybe even set of Mercedes "16 wheels
Old 03-28-2003, 01:36 AM
Almost a Member!

what ever I like
Smile S verse CL suspension

If I may . the CL (215) chassie only comes with Active body control , that suspension system is "hydrolic " the S (220) chassie is Air matic system means Air filled struts . the (220) chassie can be ordered with ABC suspension . however they are not interchangable with (215) chassies also the cost of the set of Airmatic shocks air pump and control unit would be well over 15,000
you are better of unpluging the ABC pump and it will ride like a 79 caddy. and handle like one too .
Old 03-28-2003, 12:29 PM

Aha! Someone who knows more than the dealer finally :-)

Yes, I imagine without sway bars -or- ABC the handling would be interesting. Can you tell me how to locate the ABC pump to give this theory a try?

I wouldn't want to keep it that way, but I'd like to try that to see how much the ABC contributes to ride harshness vs. the conventional shocks they've equipped it with for the stuff over 5Hz.

I don't have a service manual/CD so not sure where the pump is.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:26 PM
Almost a Member!

what ever I like
Red face caddy efect

you can start by opening the hood and locating the hydrolic pump. this pump is located at the driver side of the engine compartent at the front of the engine driven by the main belt
it also is the pump for the power steering
you will find a black two pole conector right on top . unpluging it will cause you to have no ABC it will run in default (caddalac) mode . when you reconect and re start the car the worning light should go out. however there will be a code stored that at one time the system failed .
let me know how your experiment works out for you .....
Old 04-02-2003, 06:29 PM

Handling was of course poorer (though not as bad as I expected, just like a car without ABC, really).

Ride quality did not improve, which leads me to believe its the shock valving and spring rates that give this car a rather unforgiving ride, not the ABC.

That's disappointing, since they -could- have gotten away with a much softer ride while letting the ABC control body lean and dive. Outside of track use, I think it would have been a better compromise.

Now if only I could revalve the shocks...