CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

ABC Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
ABC Experience

The ABC seems to be a common topic here so I thought I'd give you my recent experience with it on my '02 CL500.
A few weeks ago my light came on at start up to "visit workshop". The car was level. I immediately shut the engine down and restarted it. The warning message did not come on and didn't appear again. Since my StarMark warranty is about up, I took it in to the stealer.
They went over the system and found no problems. The tech mentioned that the MB procedure calls for flushing the system in this situation and installing fresh fluid and filter. In fact he showed it to me on his computer. I told him that this had been done about 10K miles ago but also mentioned that it was 4 or 5 years past. They kept the car overnight. The following day the tech told me that since it was expensive, $400-$500, he didn't do it but did do the "rodeo". This procedure is an attempt to dislodge any foreign matter in the system with the filter picking it up. When talking to him after the car was ready, he mentioned that since the fluid was old, he would syphon out a quart of so and replace it with fresh fluid, drive it for a while, and then do it again. He said this is not the MB way to do it but that it works.
Since it sounded like a good idea, I picked up a couple of filters and fluid at the stealer and started the process. (BTW, you don't have to worry about bleeding it with this procedure. However, the filter is a little tricky to r & r). After completing the job, I started the car and all was fine (no warning light).
After I do this a few times, I think I'll replace the filter ever year or so and keep fresh fluid in the system by this syphoning process, hoping that this will add some longevity to the system.
As a side note, I did the same with the power steering, including installing a new filter.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 09-25-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes!
Just had the same "rodeo" experience about 4 months ago. However, mine was an unusual leak where even after they did the "rodeo" I had to come back a few weeks afterward to get it corrected again. This whole ABC is very irritating. Do other marquee brands such as Bentley, Rolls, etc have such issues and/or technology? It seems like the CL is loaded with cutting edge tech but it's a double edged sword. Too much technology=something will break down sooner or later.

By the way Jud, how often do you get your steering and other fluids flushed? For some reason, I keep thinking that there's no need to change the trans fluid b/c it's lifetime in there? I wasn't sure that's why I had a question on another thread.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CoupeLeicht600
Just had the same "rodeo" experience about 4 months ago. However, mine was an unusual leak where even after they did the "rodeo" I had to come back a few weeks afterward to get it corrected again. This whole ABC is very irritating. Do other marquee brands such as Bentley, Rolls, etc have such issues and/or technology? It seems like the CL is loaded with cutting edge tech but it's a double edged sword. Too much technology=something will break down sooner or later.

By the way Jud, how often do you get your steering and other fluids flushed? For some reason, I keep thinking that there's no need to change the trans fluid b/c it's lifetime in there? I wasn't sure that's why I had a question on another thread.
I agree wholeheartedly about too much technology in the CL's. The car is in the top ten cars in the world for maintenance costs so I've read. I personally would love to have my CL with a lot less electronics on it.
As far as changing fluids, I'm a firm believer in keeping all fluids fresh, and IMHO, that includes the ABC system. While I have only 35K miles on my '02 CL, I have had all the fluids changed (mostly with my labor) at least once. This includes coolant, brake fluid, ABC, power steering, and of course, engine oil. I have yet to do the tranny but this is do to the low mileage. I'll do it soon though.
I've done this type of maintenance on all cars I've owned and I firmly believe this more than pays you back. For an example of fluid that has been in operation a while, the color of the ABC fluid I removed was pretty close to black. And it only has 10k miles on it. The new fluid is a green. The same goes for brake fluid which also turns black. It, of course, has an affinity for water which can damage brake parts.
Anyway, just my two cents on the matter. Jud
Old 09-27-2009, 04:25 PM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Hey guys. Ive got 65K on my 03 CL500. Its time for new rotors and pads so I am taking this opportunity to do all the major fluid replacement. I figure I'm going to drop over 2k for all this work so I'm also changing out the spark plugs. I've been told that a lot of this can wait until 100k but my tuner said that it is better to get it done between 50K and 60k to avoid the "usual" CL problems. I plan on keeping this pig so before I put her away for the winter I want to take care of everything. So far it has been a rather uneventful summer mechanically but I did get the ABC visit workshop warning at startup like Jud was discussing. It went away after I restarted the car.
On a side note...my replacement passenger side door window, that was replaced for free because of minor bubbling, is bubbling even worse after only a year. Had I known this was going to happen, I never wouldve replaced it. It's worse than before! Oh well.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
You guys have early examples of the ABC system. Newer MBs with ABC are usually much more reliable and trouble-free. Btw, on my SL and S550, I've not had one issue with ABC in the 3 years I've had the cars.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL55, SL500, E350
Does anyone have the part number for the ABC filter? or where to buy it (well beside dealer)? thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 10:31 PM

Yes!
Jud

Thanks for the input, Jud. I appreciate it. Wow, you have really low mileage on your '02. I got the same year and I just went over the 102k mark. My master tech here in Little Rock told me that because I have such an older and high-mileage CL, most of the problems have been worked out. But, since you mentioned getting the ABC fluid changed frequently, I will definitely do so the next time I go for a fluid flush. I don't follow the "Flexible Service" idea b/c 10k miles is a bit too long for me. Nonetheless, I believe that prevention is better than the cure, but then again, this is a CL...lol.

I really love this vehicle and I think the new w216 doesn't hold a candle to the w215 in terms of design and sexiness. I just wish it is as reliable as the new ones (I'm assuming).
Old 09-27-2009, 10:32 PM

Yes!
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
You guys have early examples of the ABC system. Newer MBs with ABC are usually much more reliable and trouble-free. Btw, on my SL and S550, I've not had one issue with ABC in the 3 years I've had the cars.
That's good news to hear. I was wondering whether or not they worked out the issues for the ABC. I thought it was just a "service" issue which kept the stealership's service department in business.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SLCL
Does anyone have the part number for the ABC filter? or where to buy it (well beside dealer)? thanks
I checked on the internet but couldn't find anyone selling it. The MB P/N on my invoice from the stealer is 003-184-61-01. I paid $33 with normal retail at $43.50.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CoupeLeicht600
Thanks for the input, Jud. I appreciate it. Wow, you have really low mileage on your '02. I got the same year and I just went over the 102k mark. My master tech here in Little Rock told me that because I have such an older and high-mileage CL, most of the problems have been worked out. But, since you mentioned getting the ABC fluid changed frequently, I will definitely do so the next time I go for a fluid flush. I don't follow the "Flexible Service" idea b/c 10k miles is a bit too long for me. Nonetheless, I believe that prevention is better than the cure, but then again, this is a CL...lol.

I really love this vehicle and I think the new w216 doesn't hold a candle to the w215 in terms of design and sexiness. I just wish it is as reliable as the new ones (I'm assuming).
How long have you had it time and mileage wise and what kind of problems have you had?
Old 09-28-2009, 07:06 AM

CL55, SL500, E350
Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
I checked on the internet but couldn't find anyone selling it. The MB P/N on my invoice from the stealer is 003-184-61-01. I paid $33 with normal retail at $43.50.
Thanks.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks.
My pleasure!
Old 09-28-2009, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Guys- you can purchase the ABC hydraulic fluid filter on Parts.com for $27.02 + Shipping. Here is the link: http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/inde...id=67&siteid=2
Old 09-28-2009, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Also, I do a lot of ABC repair/maintenance work so if you have any questions please feel free to ask... I know the system like the back of my hand and can answer most questions.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:25 AM

CL55, SL500, E350
Originally Posted by Oxygen
Also, I do a lot of ABC repair/maintenance work so if you have any questions please feel free to ask... I know the system like the back of my hand and can answer most questions.
Awesome! You will be regret for saying that LOL ... here comes:

According to the MB book, the ABC on my car needs 4.2 qt of oil. However, the reservoir doesn't look that big too me. So, I am guessing I have to drain it somewhere else?

The dipstick on my Power Steering has a "max" on it but no "min". The dipstick on the ABC (much longer) doesn't have neither "max" nor "min" but rather some words that I have no clue . I am not sure how to measure the ABC oil level.

Will PENTOSIN CHF 11S oil work for the ABC?

I am a dummy when it comes to DIYs. Could you describe how to change the filter and oil for the ABC. The more details the better.

The car is 2005 CL55 and has 25K miles on it at the moment. Thank you very much in advance

I'll be back (and ask more)
Old 09-29-2009, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Guys- you can purchase the ABC hydraulic fluid filter on Parts.com for $27.02 + Shipping. Here is the link: http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/inde...id=67&siteid=2
That is an excellent price. Can you count on receiving OEM MB parts from them and not aftermarket?
Old 09-29-2009, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Yes, only OEM parts. Parts.com does not stock any of these parts, you will receive your parts directly from the local Mercedes-Benz PDC.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Awesome! You will be regret for saying that LOL ... here comes:

According to the MB book, the ABC on my car needs 4.2 qt of oil. However, the reservoir doesn't look that big too me. So, I am guessing I have to drain it somewhere else?
The tank does not hold the full content of the system, you have to remember there is a lot of fluid in all the lines, in the struts and in the pressure accumulators.

To completely flush the system you need to disconnect the return line from the tank and place it in a waste oil container. You will need to suction out the contents of the reservoir and refill with fresh ABC oil. Once you start the car, the old oil will start to come from the return line, have someone watching the reservoir and fill it as soon as it starts to get sucked in. Eventually the fluid coming from the return will be the fresh fluid and you can stop.

The dipstick on my Power Steering has a "max" on it but no "min". The dipstick on the ABC (much longer) doesn't have neither "max" nor "min" but rather some words that I have no clue . I am not sure how to measure the ABC oil level.
I will take some pictures for you shortly and explain the dipsticks.

Will PENTOSIN CHF 11S oil work for the ABC?
Yes, only Pentosin CHF11S... anything else will cause permanent damage to the system.

I am a dummy when it comes to DIYs. Could you describe how to change the filter and oil for the ABC. The more details the better.

The car is 2005 CL55 and has 25K miles on it at the moment. Thank you very much in advance

I'll be back (and ask more)
No problem...
Old 09-29-2009, 05:16 PM

CL55, SL500, E350
First of all, I'd like to thank you again for being patient with me. Now, this is how I see it

My ABC reservoir has two hoses connected to it, one to the cap which connected to the filter inside the reservoir (let's call it hose one). The second hose (call it hose two) comes from the bottom of the reservoir and connect to the "engine" and secured by a clip.

So, when changing oil, I need to disconnect the hose two from the "engine" end?

Then uncap the reservoir while fill in the new oil?

I still don't understand how (which way) the oil would run through the reservoir. Where does hose one lead to? Why do we have two hoses instead of one?

Sorry to ask so many stupid questions but I need to understand the schema of the oil path to get the better idea.

Since the Power Steering runs the same oil as the ABC and apparently looks the same, would it be the same procedure to flush the power steering?

Thanks Oxygen. Without you, I'd be ... dead! LOL
Old 09-29-2009, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quote from OXYGEN:

To completely flush the system you need to disconnect the return line from the tank and place it in a waste oil container. You will need to suction out the contents of the reservoir and refill with fresh ABC oil. Once you start the car, the old oil will start to come from the return line, have someone watching the reservoir and fill it as soon as it starts to get sucked in. Eventually the fluid coming from the return will be the fresh fluid and you can stop.

Thanks for the write up. Have you done this? Isn't there quite a bit of pressure from the system making it difficult to do this step. I've done this with the power steering system on my Lincoln but I disconnected the coil wire so the engine is just turning over and not running. I tried it with the engine running and all hell broke loose with fluid shooting all over the place (LOL). Perhaps the ABC system is under a lot less pressure. Let me know as I want to try this. The return line is the hose going to the filter...right?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:08 PM

Yes!
Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
How long have you had it time and mileage wise and what kind of problems have you had?
I've had the car for almost 5 years now and I've had the ABC fail on me twice as well as spark plug issues. One time it was due to some kind of sediment in the ABC fluid. The other time was due to a failure of the system. I'm hoping that the issue has been resolved since my it now has over 100k miles on it. I'm planning on heeding your advice of flushing the fluids (esp. the ABC) every time I go for an oil change.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Arrow ABC Dipstick

ABC Dipstick and Return Line locations:

ABC Dipstick Markings:

Correct Oil Level for ABC:

P/S Dipstick Markings:

Correct Oil Level for P/S:

Old 09-29-2009, 10:17 PM

CL55, SL500, E350
I think I get the picture now. When you disconnect the return line, do you disconnect it from the 'arrow' in your picture or do you just disconnect it where the filter would be (inside the reservoir)? Also, how many qts of oil do I expect including the flush? And while flushing it, do I need to raise/lower the car enable/disable ABC Sport mode?

What should determine if the oil is dirty? Should I flush the ABC for the 2005 with 25K miles?

Thanks again Oxygen. Your help is priceless!

ABC Dipstick and Return Line locations:

ABC Dipstick Markings:

Correct Oil Level for ABC:

P/S Dipstick Markings:

Correct Oil Level for P/S:

Old 10-05-2009, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
I think I get the picture now. When you disconnect the return line, do you disconnect it from the 'arrow' in your picture or do you just disconnect it where the filter would be (inside the reservoir)? Also, how many qts of oil do I expect including the flush? And while flushing it, do I need to raise/lower the car enable/disable ABC Sport mode?

What should determine if the oil is dirty? Should I flush the ABC for the 2005 with 25K miles?

Thanks again Oxygen. Your help is priceless!
Sorry for the delay in reply...

I tried disconnecting at the arrow once and the hose was on there really good and I did not want to break the plastic so I just took out the whole cap/filter assembly and put it into a plastic container. Probably easier than trying to pry the hose off.

You should have about 9 liters of fluid on hand.

As soon as you start the car, little bit of fluid will come out.

You will need to have someone sit in the car and raise/lower the car while you monitor the fluid level in the tank and replenish it. Keep an eye on the return line, once you seen clean fluid coming out it's time to shut the car off.

Once the car has sat there for about 10 minutes, measure the ABC oil level and correct if necessary.

If you put too much in it will leak through the cap once the system depressurizes making a big mess.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Most important thing to remember when working on ABC - KEEP IT CLEAN!

Even a tiny piece of lint or a grain of sand can cause complete system failure. Make sure the tanks, caps, hoses, etc.. are perfectly clean and have no lint or dust on them. Wear gloves when handling and DO NOT USE old funnels. Buy a new funnel and use it only for ABC.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ABC Experience