CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

BOATLOAD of PROBLEMS & would LOVE OPINIONS & KNOWLEDGE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2009 | 07:20 PM

'04 CL500 SPORT AMG, '06 Range Rover Supercharged
Unhappy BOATLOAD of PROBLEMS & would LOVE OPINIONS & KNOWLEDGE

Hello all. Brought my '04 CL500 into MB for servicing this past Friday. Got a call today from service rep. with some dreadful news. Four separate issues. I'm going to list them and would absolutely love and appreciate hearing from those with knowledgeable opinions and/or those with similar experiences. Here they are and THANK YOU!
1) Valve cover gasket is sweating oil. $529 w/ parts and labor. (I believe my extended warranty is going to cover this but won't be sure until tomorrow)
2) Serpentine belt is "glazed" and needs to be replaced. $210 w/ parts&labor. I'm not 100% positive but isn't a serpentine belt DYI? My neighbor could help me with it if that's the case.
3) E-Brake isn't clicking into place and needs a new assembly kit. $205 w/ parts and labor. (Is it that important that I get this fixed?)

Lastly and the biggest problem:
4) The Airmatic Valve loses air pressure and does not maintain the correct amount. $1,250 w/ parts&labor. MB rep. says that once this valve goes, the entire car's suspension will be shot in the *** and the entire care will be dropped like a Cali lowrider. He couldn't give me the amount of time I have until it goes but said it's on its way.

What I want to know is if I can get any of these things done by a friend/neighbor, how important it is to get each one done and where can I buy the particular parts needed?

Again, I'd appreciate ANY and ALL HELP from you guys! Thank you!

Last edited by mybenzo42; 11-16-2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to write this!
Old 11-16-2009 | 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
1, Hope your warranty covers. Seems high for valve gasket seals. Try an independent.

2. Yes, DIY or an independent. Buy the belt and have them do it for $20.

3. Buy the assembly kit from an online Mercedes parts dealer and have an independent do the work.

4. Your car should have ABC suspension which is hydraulic. Not sure how it can leak air? It sounds as if you need a new dealership or mechanic.

Why isn't your warranty covering items 3 & 4?
Old 11-16-2009 | 10:15 PM

CLK63 BS
Last time I took my car to MBZ they told me my valve covers were leaking too. Nope, no leaks.
Old 11-17-2009 | 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by BlownV8
1, Hope your warranty covers. Seems high for valve gasket seals. Try an independent.

2. Yes, DIY or an independent. Buy the belt and have them do it for $20.

3. Buy the assembly kit from an online Mercedes parts dealer and have an independent do the work.

4. Your car should have ABC suspension which is hydraulic. Not sure how it can leak air? It sounds as if you need a new dealership or mechanic.

Why isn't your warranty covering items 3 & 4?
1. Just found out warranty company is covering cost.

2. When you say "them", who do you mean? Independent?

3. Looking into it.

4. The problem is with a valve in the Airmatic, not the ABC. I guess CL's have both. (Impractical) He said there's some type of valve that isn't holding the air correctly and sooner than later the whole car's suspension will be kaput. It's almost a $1,300 job and don't have the money for it right now.

And the reason the warranty isn't covering 3&4 is bc I bought an extended warranty with the car when I purchased it from a family friend's high-end lot. So the warranty isn't through MB.
Old 11-17-2009 | 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by fatmike
Last time I took my car to MBZ they told me my valve covers were leaking too. Nope, no leaks.
They really are scum of scum. They're looking to rob every and I mean every single person that walks through that door BLIND.
Old 11-17-2009 | 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by mybenzo42
1. Just found out warranty company is covering cost.

2. When you say "them", who do you mean? Independent?

3. Looking into it.

4. The problem is with a valve in the Airmatic, not the ABC. I guess CL's have both. (Impractical) He said there's some type of valve that isn't holding the air correctly and sooner than later the whole car's suspension will be kaput. It's almost a $1,300 job and don't have the money for it right now.

And the reason the warranty isn't covering 3&4 is bc I bought an extended warranty with the car when I purchased it from a family friend's high-end lot. So the warranty isn't through MB.

2. Yes.

4. All CL's have ABC. The S class has air matic or ABC. The S55, S600, & S65 all have ABC.