A Little Location Help Here PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 CL500 SPORT AMG, '06 Range Rover Supercharged
A Little Location Help Here PLEASE!

Hello All,
I need just a bit of help. I want to know if anyone would be so kind as to telling me where I can find the location of the transmission fluid "dipstick". Maybe a possible picture pointing out its location. Now, I've done my due diligence before posting and have checked the forums here and numerous other places. All I seem to find is people saying there is no actual dipstick that has come with the car (Which I knew already) and then they proceed on how to read fluid levels, etc. I bought the little red clip today but have been going absolutely NUTSO trying to find this thing. I literally took apart the engine compartment, whatever can be taken apart by hand of course. I have included a link to the picture of my engine which will hopefully make it easier for someone to point out what I am looking for. Thanks fellas!

LINK:
http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/...L500ENGINE.jpg
Attached Images  

Last edited by mybenzo42; 03-08-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
There is no dipstick for these trannys. The filler tube for it is at the rear of the engine on the right side. When this 722.6 tranny first came out MB said you never had to change the fluid, so I guess that's why they set it up this way. Now they have backed off that advising to change it and the filter at about 40K miles. Have a look at this write up on how to change the fluid which should answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ion-fluid.html
Old 03-09-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 CL500 SPORT AMG, '06 Range Rover Supercharged
Hey Jud,

Thanks for posting. Although very informative, the link doesnt hold the answer to my question. The only thing I want to know is where the transmission quote unquote and for lack of a better name, "dipstick" is located in the engine compartment. Take a look at my other thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w215...-please-2.html
Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mybenzo42
Hey Jud,

Thanks for posting. Although very informative, the link doesnt hold the answer to my question. The only thing I want to know is where the transmission quote unquote and for lack of a better name, "dipstick" is located in the engine compartment. Take a look at my other thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w215...-please-2.html
Yes, I saw your other thread and post #6 shows exactly where it should be on your car. I actually took a pic of mine but it comes out the same as post #6. Anyway, it's a black cap a little smaller in diameter than a quarter ($.25) with a red or black tab on it. The cap reads "MB workshop only" and it should be in plain sight right off the right rear side (passenger side) of the engine cover. It's not hidden and is actually in the same place as most if not all other cars I've owned including my '76 Vette and '91 Lincoln, currently my other 2 cars. Funny thing is I don't see it in your pics. If I were you, I'd drive your car over to your local stealer and have one of the techs locate it for you.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
Yes, I saw your other thread and post #6 shows exactly where it should be on your car. I actually took a pic of mine but it comes out the same as post #6. Anyway, it's a black cap a little smaller in diameter than a quarter ($.25) with a red or black tab on it. The cap reads "MB workshop only" and it should be in plain sight right off the right rear side (passenger side) of the engine cover. It's not hidden and is actually in the same place as most if not all other cars I've owned including my '76 Vette and '91 Lincoln, currently my other 2 cars. Funny thing is I don't see it in your pics. If I were you, I'd drive your car over to your local stealer and have one of the techs locate it for you.
PS Don't look for a dip stick handle. You are looking for a cap which covers (seals) the tranny filler tube for adding fluid. Hope this helps. Jud

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 03-10-2010 at 12:23 AM.