E63 to CL63 (W215)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2010 | 01:23 PM

E55
E63 to CL63 (W215)

Hi,

Hoping I can get some assistance here.

Out of all of the other Mercedes models, there seems to be quite a shortage of body styling kits avail for the 2001-2006 CL class. Which is fair, it looks great on its own; but I cant help but want to make it “mine.”

That said, I’m looking into getting an w211 E63 bumper modified to fit in an effort to bring something like an AMG Black Series CL to life. Is there an alternate bumper with the ’63 aggressive styling that is made for the w215 CL-class?

I live in Atlanta, any ideas on how much body modifications such as this would cost labor wise?

Thanks!

PS: I'm considering a CL600 if that helps
Old 05-11-2010 | 03:00 PM

CL600
Well you have a few options:

Orginal AMG (looks very good and can be had cheap used)
Kleemann looks good and price is fair
Brabus - expensive, looks a bit vierd if you ask me
Lorinser - very expensive looks funny

Cheaper ebay kits - some look ok, but fitting them could properly be a *****.

Make a custom one- any good bodyshop should be able to mould something on the original bumper to make it look like the black edition, it would however most likely cost a lot.

David
Old 05-11-2010 | 03:25 PM

E55
1st of all David, thanks very much for taking the time to address this.

You stated that a body shop will most likely cost "Alot." Any idea on a price range for a custom bumper from any body fabricators you've dealt with?

Thanks!

PS: I agree with you concerning the body kits you've mentioned. They all seem rather "bleh." Its as if the W215 CL was blantenly neglected on the aftermarket styling scene.
Old 05-12-2010 | 03:28 AM

CL600
You would really have to get a quote from the shops as price/quality varies a lot.

I'm from Denmark so our hour rates are a bit higher than in th US, but I would say the job should not take more than 10 hours, but it very much depends on what you are planning to build.

If it were me, I would find a good picture of the stock bumper and a good picture of the SL/E class black edition bumper and send them to a couple of bodyshops (only the best shop can do this so it looks good, search online for reviews on local bodyshops) in your area.

Ask them how much they would aproximatly (spell?) charge to remove the bumper, mould it to look like the black edition, respray and refit again.

I think it will cost at least 1000$ if you want a wild guess.

David