CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

ABC solution!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 cl500
ABC solution!

OK enough with this problem with air ride crap. I have finally talked with a research and development department representative from strutmasters today about converting my car from the hydraulic suspension to old school shocks and struts (much more reliable). OK so there's a lot probably wondering " well if you take the stock suspension off it will not perform as it is designed to. WRONG. That's why there called RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT They said to bring my car in (01 cl500) and they'll for free take a look at it and see if there interested in marketing this product for my vehicle type. now its up to you fellow followers to be like ***k yes do it and let us cheese off of your doing once they take my car in hopefully next month or so when i can drive to north Carolina ill be paying for parts only to have my car converted to old school suspension vs this new garbage. If your much eager than i to do this go right ahead ill give you there email so u can get your crap changed too. oh did i mention you can replace them yourself MUAHAHA well for that would have to wait till there done designing one for my car which obviously they will because im tired of waiting around and looking for answers related to ABC failure. ANY ! WITh me HOORAAA!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by Reighn661
OK enough with this problem with air ride crap. I have finally talked with a research and development department representative from strutmasters today about converting my car from the hydraulic suspension to old school shocks and struts (much more reliable). OK so there's a lot probably wondering " well if you take the stock suspension off it will not perform as it is designed to. WRONG. That's why there called RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT They said to bring my car in (01 cl500) and they'll for free take a look at it and see if there interested in marketing this product for my vehicle type. now its up to you fellow followers to be like ***k yes do it and let us cheese off of your doing once they take my car in hopefully next month or so when i can drive to north Carolina ill be paying for parts only to have my car converted to old school suspension vs this new garbage. If your much eager than i to do this go right ahead ill give you there email so u can get your crap changed too. oh did i mention you can replace them yourself MUAHAHA well for that would have to wait till there done designing one for my car which obviously they will because im tired of waiting around and looking for answers related to ABC failure. ANY ! WITh me HOORAAA!
"hydraulic suspension" and ABC != "air ride"

which is it?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 PM

E53 Wagon, Model 3, Miata, etc, etc
well, you'll have to run sway bars then, which I don't know if there's room for it, and have to somehow get the computer to know the car's fine without ABC.

Good luck on it, I know people run them in their Lincolns and so on... but I love my ABC. :p
Old 07-15-2010, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
These guys may be able to help you guys as well.......

http://www.arnottindustries.com/
Old 07-18-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 Corvette
Very interesting...I figured someone would look into converting these cars to a conventional suspension to avoid the common issues with ABC. Strutmasters has a good reputation: the key to a good execution will be to get the right spring rate and the proper shock valving to make the car ride and handle well. Keep us posted with progress.

BTW, ABC is a hydraulic system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Body_Control

Last edited by 3 Point Fan; 07-19-2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-19-2010, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Originally Posted by Reighn661

Me thinks you don't know the difference between ABC and Airmatic. As asked in a previous post, which one do you have?

Strutmasters is going to be kind enough to crawl under your car, measure things and possibly make a lot of money if they decide to make a conversion kit and they will still charge you for the parts? Bwahahaha! Well... ok, then. Have fun with that.

I'll stick with ABC, thank you very much. You go have fun with strutmasters. Let us know how poorly your car will ride and handle on conventional struts... because it will.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:57 PM

'00 RENNtech CL60, '96 850Ci, '92 850i '01 Discovery II
I am eagerly looking for a ABC solution, my car was just repaired for $7,000 and I wish to keep the car for many years to come hopefully with no problem with the ABC, but I would be happier to know there is an available alternative. Call it Peace of Mind.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:35 AM

I am curious if Mercedes has solved this problem with the new cars equipped with ABC. This appears to be a common failure after a certain mileage is reached and an expensive repair. I would option to avoid the purchase of a car with ABC as I tend to buy and hold my vehicles for an extended period.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,064 Likes on 853 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by AHall
I am curious if Mercedes has solved this problem with the new cars equipped with ABC. This appears to be a common failure after a certain mileage is reached and an expensive repair. I would option to avoid the purchase of a car with ABC as I tend to buy and hold my vehicles for an extended period.
I don't think they have done anything that will stop the ABC problems on the newer ABC equipped vehicles. However, IMHO, they could easily stop the issues with an electromagnetic clutch that disengages the pump whn it senses a pressure drop from a leaky or blown hose. The weak point of the system is the hoses. And anyone who is familiar with dydraulic components knows that hoses fail.

It is the age and use that cause ABC issues. The older the car with more usage will see the greatest number of issues because the hoses on these vehicles are subject to the most heat and pressure from extended use. Hydraulic lines on the CL start to crack and split with age, heat cycles, and pressure. Once they fail, a domino like effect starts to take out the components from the debris caused by the ABC pump being run without fluid and from deteriorating hoses.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 PM

1999 Corvette
Given this information, should owners add new hoses and a fluid flush to their maintenance schedule (say every 60k miles)? I am curious if any owners have regularly flushed the fluid and/or replaced the hoses and NOT had issues with the system.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,064 Likes on 853 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by 3 Point Fan
Given this information, should owners add new hoses and a fluid flush to their maintenance schedule (say every 60k miles)? I am curious if any owners have regularly flushed the fluid and/or replaced the hoses and NOT had issues with the system.
If I had it all over to do again, I would do just that. I think the system would be fine if the hoses were replaced every 50,000 miles. It may also help if you change filters and flushed every 25,000 miles. If you keep the contaminates out and the hoses from breaking, I'd bet the system would be dependable.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:50 AM

SL550, E550, CL500
I would LOVE to see a reasonably priced solution to the ABC problems. My 03 seemed to be fine until I took it in for the ABC recall hose. Local dealer did the work....shortly thereafter, I began having ABC warnings..ultimately turning into red warning and failsafe mode (sure makes the car bounce around on rough roads).
Private mechanic ran all diagnostics and found NO error reports related to ABC. He figures it is a software glitch requiring a reboot. Keeping my fingers crossed, but as I like to keep my cars a long time and love the CL styling....would like a reasonable solution for future needs.

As for Mercedes quality....this is my first one and I must say, I can clearly see why people moved on to Lexus, etc....as much as I love the style etc, the quality is a joke (yes, I have a laundry list of repaired problems)....so much for German carftsmanship...gotta laugh when I see ads selling OEM parts for the Cl claiming we should put "original QUALITY parts back on as replacements" .....my 90 Audi V8 Quattro made this CL look like junk....damn the styling!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:53 AM

2000 CL500 1992 300SE
They probably didn't top up the ABC fluid.....try it and the ride should stabilise.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:32 PM

SL550, E550, CL500
Thanks for the note Ifari......wish that was all it was.....but, no, all fluids properly topped off. In fact, no sag, no leaks, etc.
Could be the computer...lately, the Parktronic has acted up....works fine..then someone walks some 10 feet away and it goes crazy.....on diagnostic, one of the left rear sensors shows some issue...not specific..but it seems intermittent...
Old 08-03-2010, 02:58 PM

2000 CL500 1992 300SE
I hear ya...but sometimes looks can be deceiving. Try adding a lil bit more fluid and the ride may stabilise....I speak from experience, after having similar symptoms to yours, upon leaving the dealership after recall work on my ABC hi-pressure hose. Car felt wonky -- I went home and checked the ABC rez.....it looked OK, but I went ahead and slowly added an oz. or so of fluid and took the car out.....BIG difference.....Since then, I try to check my fluid more frequently and the ride has always been good and no probs with the ABC....I'm just sayin'....
Old 08-14-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
CL600
Arnott has announced that they are already working on a replacement kit for the abc system.

David
Old 08-14-2010, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Pffft. Arnott... Make sure you never have any warranty issues on their stuff, they honor their warranty about as well as a company that went out of business after you purchased a product from them.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by Sathinas
Pffft. Arnott... Make sure you never have any warranty issues on their stuff, they honor their warranty about as well as a company that went out of business after you purchased a product from them.
Can you give specifics?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 155 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by Sathinas
+1, I was looking to buy from them
Old 09-01-2010, 02:37 PM

Sold-300ce AMG Twin Turbo
I would really think twice about getting anything from strutmasters....I have a repair shop and dealt with them on a rear leveling conversion kit for a 1999 s500....they charged me 500 bucks for 2 springs(that were too tall) and 2 piece of crap monroes shocks that didn't even have the right width where the shock sits in the lower control arm (that was knocking every time you went over something)...the ride height looked like a jacked up old camaro with traction bars...lol!!...And when I talked to their "research and development" team,they basically told me to figure something out using a set of spacers.Maybe they are better with old pick-up trucks but as far as a Benz goes,I would stay away from them.