CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Speeddriven or Renntech???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CL600 2003
I have a question for you guys (Eurocharged and Speedriven), at which point to much boost gets bad for the engine, and if different tunes have the same turbo boost pressure will they have the same hp and torque?

I would like to add that I appreciate your responses, this is getting to be a really good thread!
Old 12-19-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL600
I am also in the market for a tune, still doing some final adjusments to my car to prep it for a tune. If I could get some more infomation from everyone would be great.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 AM

Cl
What final adjustments are you doing to prepare for a tune?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:36 AM

CL600
air intake need to be finished, and the rest is just service to the car.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:58 AM

Cl
The tuners must be busy with the holidays,hopefully they answer your question eventually slonar21.
When one goes to get a tune done where do they hafta go for the tunes?
I know that the nearest renntech place to me is in Iowa or Illinois.
Dont know where the others are....
Also the renntech guy told me when i called him that the car has to be there for like 2 days or something,is that the same with all of them?
Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by slonar21
I have a question for you guys (Eurocharged and Speedriven), at which point to much boost gets bad for the engine, and if different tunes have the same turbo boost pressure will they have the same hp and torque?

I would like to add that I appreciate your responses, this is getting to be a really good thread!
Fuel becomes an issue for boost, in most cases, before the engine's internals do. On pump gas, we keep the boost below 23. That said, it's not as simple as "same boost = same hp", since heat management, efficiency of airflow, etc. all come into play as well.

It may sound cynical, but there are no "easy equations" like that.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by trag
The tuners must be busy with the holidays,hopefully they answer your question eventually slonar21.
When one goes to get a tune done where do they hafta go for the tunes?
I know that the nearest renntech place to me is in Iowa or Illinois.
Dont know where the others are....
Also the renntech guy told me when i called him that the car has to be there for like 2 days or something,is that the same with all of them?
No, definitely not the same.

RENNtech requires that the ECU be sent to them for tuning. Depending on the car, we can do the tune over the OBD with the Block Tuner, so your car may not have to be "down" at all.

BLOCK TUNER
OBD PROGRAMMER AND DATA-LOGGER

The Speedriven Block Tuner communicates directly with your vehicle's ECU, allowing you to switch between Speedriven's high-performance software and the factory file in a matter of minutes. It also works as a data-recorder, giving Speedriven an inside look at your car's behavior - allowing Speedriven to give you local technical support from hundreds or thousands of miles away! Simply connect the Block to your car's OBD-II port (just underneath the steering column) and record the data ... then connect the Block to your PC (via USB cable, included), and email the file to Speedriven.

- SUPERIOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT
- REVERT TO FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS AT ANY TIME
- EASILY SWAP BETWEEN PUMP-GAS AND RACE-GAS TUNE FILES
Old 12-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by KazukiZhou
air intake need to be finished, and the rest is just service to the car.
What kind of air intake? Pics?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:19 AM

CL600 2003
Question for Speedriven;

Does the block tuner communicate with the TCU as well, or the TCU would have to be sent to you guys for the flash?

In my region I can only get 91 octane , would the HP gains be the same as the dyno posted, or would it be a different tune?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:23 AM

CL600 2003
Normally you send your ECU module to the tuner and they send it back, no need to get the car to them. Did you talk directly to Renntech or a reseller?

Obviously your car is inoperable without the ECU
Old 12-21-2010, 04:59 PM

Cl
I called a renntech guy at a mercedes dealership in Iowa.
He said because the distance,that i would probably need to get a hotel or something because it would take afew days.
If one was gonna do speeddriven or eurocharged or whatever,would i hafta drive my car to a place that does the tune?Or take the ecu out and send it in?
I think i would rather drive it the the location as
I dont know anything about the ecu/tcu or how to remove it.
Does that block tuner do the tcu or just the ecu?
Old 12-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Question for Speedriven;

Does the block tuner communicate with the TCU as well, or the TCU would have to be sent to you guys for the flash?

In my region I can only get 91 octane , would the HP gains be the same as the dyno posted, or would it be a different tune?
HP would be similar, but not the same. Maybe 5% difference, max. Torque would be fairly close, as well. It would be a different tune, to answer that question.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Normally you send your ECU module to the tuner and they send it back, no need to get the car to them. Did you talk directly to Renntech or a reseller?

Obviously your car is inoperable without the ECU
Yes, but depending on the car you can tune through OBD, as I mentioned above.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Banned

Speedriven
I called a renntech guy at a mercedes dealership in Iowa.
He said because the distance,that i would probably need to get a hotel or something because it would take afew days.
If one was gonna do speeddriven or eurocharged or whatever,would i hafta drive my car to a place that does the tune?Or take the ecu out and send it in?
I think i would rather drive it the the location as
I dont know anything about the ecu/tcu or how to remove it.
Does that block tuner do the tcu or just the ecu?
On a W215 (2003-2006) CL600, no - you do not need to drive the car anywhere. We can do everything we need to the ECU through the OBD, using the Block Tuner.

Block Tuner does the ECU. I recommend doing the ECU flash first, then determining if you want to go to the next step. Do everything in stages, you know?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 CL500
Originally Posted by Speedriven
On a W215 (2003-2006) CL600, no - you do not need to drive the car anywhere. We can do everything we need to the ECU through the OBD, using the Block Tuner.

Block Tuner does the ECU. I recommend doing the ECU flash first, then determining if you want to go to the next step. Do everything in stages, you know?
not to change the subject, but what kind of upgrades are suitable for the CL500 & what sort of horsepower gains can be seen?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by mf219
not to change the subject, but what kind of upgrades are suitable for the CL500 & what sort of horsepower gains can be seen?
At the moment we're not offering anything for the 500.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by mf219
Like I said, we don't offer anything ... you might be able to get decent gains out of some headers or an intake and an ECU flash, but don't expect more than 30-40 hp total, I think.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 CL500
Like I said, we don't offer anything ... you might be able to get decent gains out of some headers or an intake and an ECU flash, but don't expect more than 30-40 hp total, I think.
thanks for your quick response.... doesn't sound like it would be worth it. Guess they got about all they could outta that V8!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 AM

CL600 2003

Does this mean that the Block tuner does not do the TCU reprograming? Sorry for asking again, it just isn't clear to me
Old 12-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Does this mean that the Block tuner does not do the TCU reprograming? Sorry for asking again, it just isn't clear to me
Block Tuner flashes ECU, not TCU. ECU = step 1. TCU = step 2.