CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Which CL to buy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CL500 1992 300SE
You 'peaked' inside....lol....oh, well that explains your BELIEFS then.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350, 2008 Corvette
Originally Posted by Patentmat
Leather all around on my 2004 CL55 (edit: and suede headliner), but it is the Cashmere Designo, so this was expected. Waiting to hear from a non-designo
That is a very nice looking CL
Old 01-20-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
gl550
mine's for sale, and I have replaced a lot of things including the abc pump in the past few months
Old 01-22-2011, 02:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cl500, 560sec, s500c, e320cab, 560sel, 450sel6.9, cl55amg
it really depends upon what you want. all the 215 cars are very different.

i own two.

my preference is always for naturally-aspirated engines.

i have enjoyed the 2006 cl500 a great deal. more than any of my other benzes[and i have a few].

the 7-speed tranny is a masterpiece. unfortunately, mine threw craps at 30,000. thankfully at 35 mph on a residential street. 10 minutes earlier it would have happened on an interstate in the left hand lane at a speed in excess of 80. in traffic. that would have been way too interesting.

the warranty was nice. the car was picked up, tranny was replaced.

the 2006 cl55amg is a different vehicle. mine is somewhat unusual because it was fitted with a very non-standard leather[amg java].

one of the most pronounced differences is the seats. the amg seats will not be to every driver's liking. very firm. they are seats for what is a pursang roustabout benz coupe. and the first one in decades[i say that because i own some predecessors. none are as sporting].

now, forget the levels of interior leather. if you want to own a leather lounge, acquire a jaguar, a bentley, an aston. those cars intrigue me in many senses, but then i compute their problems of ownership.

and unless you have very deep pockets and enjoy owning a garage queen, avoid the v12's. none of my friends who are involved in the servicing of benzes at benz dealers would recommend them.

and own none earlier than the last year[2006] of this series. prior to the final year, the electronics rendered way too many of them garage queens.

and while this series is still available in cpo status, only acquire one of those. and if you plan on owning it/driving it for another 2-3 years, buy the benz extended warranty. you will thank yourself if you do that. these cars are very complex and even if you follow the maintenance schedule, expensive things happen. as i recall, the 2 year extended warranty will cost less than $4,500. consider what a tranny and other suspension bits might cost.

if you are going to own it with the thought to resell it, go have a 3m clear bra installed by a pro. this is especially true if the front end of the car is virtually brand new.

i acquired both of these cars after they came off their first lease. though i had said i would never own an electronified[post 2000] benz, i gave that up when i decided to add the most[and last] elegant designs of the sacco design bureau to my little collection dedicated to the sacco era.

the cl500[pewter/charcoal] was virtually new. driven by a doctor for two years from his residence to his office and back again[19,070 miles].

it had only one option keyless-go. i never thought i would consider that indispensable. it is indispensable. don't acquire a benz that doesn't have it.

but that cl500 missed some options that i think are indispensable also. parktronic. remote trunk open/close. and if you live with these cars and have some of my physical infirmities, i think you will think similarly.

which is what led me to keep my eyes open to a cpo'ed cl55amg with all the "right stuff". after almost two years, i found it. one lessee and not in a snow belt.

the 2006 cl55amg is an elegant monster. the last and best of the sacco designs. the 216's don't have its elegance.

as i said previously, i have a few benz coupes. a 1987 560sec, a 1995 e320 cabriolet, a 1997 s500c[c140 chassis]. sacco designs.

all beautiful. but the 215's are the most sporting. the abc suspension is a marvel.

the v8's are the best balanced and most economical to own and operate for a sonderklasse coupe.

acquire one while they are still out there and subject to a benz warranty.

i prefer the lighter exterior colors: silver, white.

and the lighter interior colors when you can find them.

someone once asked me, "how should i consider them before buying one?" i replied, "think of it as a home, acquire the one you find that you would like to live in".
Old 01-22-2011, 10:58 AM

2004 CL55
That is a heck of a 1st post albertchampion - - - welcome to the forum!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Originally Posted by albertchampion
it really depends upon what you want. all the 215 cars are very different.

i own two.

my preference is always for naturally-aspirated engines.

i have enjoyed the 2006 cl500 a great deal. more than any of my other benzes[and i have a few].

the 7-speed tranny is a masterpiece. unfortunately, mine threw craps at 30,000. thankfully at 35 mph on a residential street. 10 minutes earlier it would have happened on an interstate in the left hand lane at a speed in excess of 80. in traffic. that would have been way too interesting.

the warranty was nice. the car was picked up, tranny was replaced.

the 2006 cl55amg is a different vehicle. mine is somewhat unusual because it was fitted with a very non-standard leather[amg java].

one of the most pronounced differences is the seats. the amg seats will not be to every driver's liking. very firm. they are seats for what is a pursang roustabout benz coupe. and the first one in decades[i say that because i own some predecessors. none are as sporting].

now, forget the levels of interior leather. if you want to own a leather lounge, acquire a jaguar, a bentley, an aston. those cars intrigue me in many senses, but then i compute their problems of ownership.

and unless you have very deep pockets and enjoy owning a garage queen, avoid the v12's. none of my friends who are involved in the servicing of benzes at benz dealers would recommend them.

and own none earlier than the last year[2006] of this series. prior to the final year, the electronics rendered way too many of them garage queens.

and while this series is still available in cpo status, only acquire one of those. and if you plan on owning it/driving it for another 2-3 years, buy the benz extended warranty. you will thank yourself if you do that. these cars are very complex and even if you follow the maintenance schedule, expensive things happen. as i recall, the 2 year extended warranty will cost less than $4,500. consider what a tranny and other suspension bits might cost.

if you are going to own it with the thought to resell it, go have a 3m clear bra installed by a pro. this is especially true if the front end of the car is virtually brand new.

i acquired both of these cars after they came off their first lease. though i had said i would never own an electronified[post 2000] benz, i gave that up when i decided to add the most[and last] elegant designs of the sacco design bureau to my little collection dedicated to the sacco era.

the cl500[pewter/charcoal] was virtually new. driven by a doctor for two years from his residence to his office and back again[19,070 miles].

it had only one option keyless-go. i never thought i would consider that indispensable. it is indispensable. don't acquire a benz that doesn't have it.

but that cl500 missed some options that i think are indispensable also. parktronic. remote trunk open/close. and if you live with these cars and have some of my physical infirmities, i think you will think similarly.

which is what led me to keep my eyes open to a cpo'ed cl55amg with all the "right stuff". after almost two years, i found it. one lessee and not in a snow belt.

the 2006 cl55amg is an elegant monster. the last and best of the sacco designs. the 216's don't have its elegance.

as i said previously, i have a few benz coupes. a 1987 560sec, a 1995 e320 cabriolet, a 1997 s500c[c140 chassis]. sacco designs.

all beautiful. but the 215's are the most sporting. the abc suspension is a marvel.

the v8's are the best balanced and most economical to own and operate for a sonderklasse coupe.

acquire one while they are still out there and subject to a benz warranty.

i prefer the lighter exterior colors: silver, white.

and the lighter interior colors when you can find them.

someone once asked me, "how should i consider them before buying one?" i replied, "think of it as a home, acquire the one you find that you would like to live in".

Good advice here, and I agree with virtually everything said aside from the poster's preference for light-colored interiors. I think it is hard to beat the Charcoal AMG Leather for elegance that will wear well over time. (Note: A little Armorall Protectant along with the Leather conditioner will transform the color to a nice, shiny, jet black rather than the charcoal gray color it tends to take on if the leather becomes a bit dry...Same goes for the dash and door panels).

I also agee that of the 215 Series produced from 2001-2006, the 2006 CL55 AMG, is the "pick of the litter", and in Brilliant Silver over Charcoal, it is, for me at least, the absolute pinnacle of the 215 series Coupes. That said, my wife's Obsidian Black over Charcoal 2005 CL500 Standard edition is very nice too, and with the "H" rated tires, mounted on MB's 17" Twin Spoke Rims, it is the right CL for the way she drives.

I was also a very big fan of Bruno Sacco's design work at Mercedes-Benz and certainly it was a sad day when he retired as MB's Chief Designer....His tenure produced many classic designs, with the 215 Series just a masterpiece work.

While many felt there were few changes to the CL55 for 2006, there were several notable improvements. The 19" AMG Twin Spoke Wheels (with rivets) were made standard for that final year of the CL55 AMG 215 Series. Also, the CL55's EPA mileage improved to 15 City/22 Hwy for the 2006 model year. (Previous year's EPA mileage was 14/21).

I feel extremely lucky to have found my own Brilliant Silver over Charcoal CL55 AMG back in February of 2010. (See pic below). It was a CPO with just 24,600 miles when I bought it, and of course, I purchased the extended CPO warranty as well. I really love driving this car!

The only bad news here is that only 182 CL55 AMG's were produced with U.S. Specs for the 2006 model year. Accordingly, you'll need a lot of luck to find a 2006 CL55 AMG in good condition with low mileage.

Last edited by bob55; 01-22-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:01 PM

2005 CL65 AMG
I just got a 2005 CL65 with 65K miles. For a supercar it was damn cheap. There is nothing that compares to the V12 biturbo out there, that said, you want to find a car that has a complete service record including those extra things besides the A and B services. In particular look for ABC services and both serp belt and plugs. The brakes are another problem, soft rotors and hard pads. You will need to replace rotors every other pad set. Next time you do it use ceramic instead of semi metallic pads for longer rotor life. These cars require expensive maintenance, if you are like me and and can do your own you will be better off. If you are not mechanically inclined you should shop for a warranty that will cover the ABC system and all the electronic gizmos. No warranty will cover the rotors and pads. You will still have to pay for maintenance every 10K miles if you do not do it yourself. Both the V12 and the V8 are bulletproof as are the transmissions.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:22 AM

actually, i would prefer the blue leather interiors that benz seems to have ended in 1996. until the 1997 s500c[c140 chassis] all my benzes have blue leather interiors.

with the benz racing history, i think it incumbent upon benz to always offer blue interiors with either white or silver exterior colors.

but, i have found that benz prefers to hide its racing history. for reasons that i do not understand.

visiting a number of benz dealerships around the world, i am always puzzled by why the magazines in the lounge are society rags. no motorsport. no f1 racing, et alia.

no pix of the great gp cars. nor the drivers. it is difficult for me to comprehend the absence of this record of the automotive greatness that was/is mercedes-benz.

is it that mbusa mandates that its dealers will make no mention of benz racing greatness? or is it just that the dealership owners don't know? that owning a benz dealership is just a financial matter... and soulless?

perhaps i am way too far over the hill, remembering the benz racing excellences, but i sure think that benz is missing a bet by allowing its dealers to ignore/avoid this history.

for all the trinkets, clothes, etc that a benz dealer's parts dept sells these days, i would have thought it a natural for them to be selling pix of sir stirling and dennis in the mille miglia. and the cmc models of the silber arrows.

what has caused this do you think? the feminization of benz marketing in the usa?

i notice that the porsche dealerships also avoid any acknowledgement of porsche's racing history.

and audi produced a fabulous calendar for 2011 featuring its 1930's gp cars photographed on the tracks where they raced, and won, but audi won't sell it to you if you live outside of germany, austria.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:10 PM

this is not a reply, it is a question...

in one of the responses, it was mentioned that there were only 182 cl55amg's sold of the 2006 model year.

would you mind telling me how you acquired this information?

i asked a john olson, sl marketletter, the question as to how many cl55amg's were sold in the usa/world. he said that he didn't know, that after 2004 benz secreted this data.

more to the point, do you have the sales data for this model throughout its run? usa/world?

if so, would you mind sharing those figures? if you wouldn't mind, please relate them.

lastly, what is your source for those sales figures?

thnx
Old 01-26-2011, 10:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 CL500
try this:

AMG Production Numbers:
AMG Production Numbers | TopGearage
Old 01-26-2011, 10:50 PM

thnx.

i have to study on some of those numbers.

and these are usa sales figures correct?

any info on the worldwide sales?

later......
Old 01-26-2011, 11:33 PM

2004 CL55
Wow those numbers are interesting. Learned something new as well: There's rare, and then there's R63 rare. Made for just one year, and in that year, only 30 produced!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:00 AM

the R series. probably the ugliest vehicle ever. right up there with the pontiac azteq[sic].

makes a great limo, though. and benz has been discounting the standard ones heavily.