CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Purchasing 01-02 cl600..some quest.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
99 c43,90 mustang gt supercharged convertible,07 acura tl type s, Hummer H3t pickup
Purchasing 01-02 cl600..some quest.

Interested in purchasing a 01-02 cl600.Will be used as weekend/not often used pleasure vehicle.Am i making a good move here....how is the reliagility?What are the common issues to look for? Definatly doing a P.P.I..Please, anyone who ownes one please chime in....btw NOT selling MY 99 c43 lol.THANKS!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Lincoln LS V8
Any reason why you're restricting yourself to 00-02? Not only do the 03+ 600's have a lot more power, most people will tell you they're a lot more reliable. Not that you can't find a great 00-02, but at that age it gets a lot more likely that the car's been neglected at some point in its life.

Common issues:

ABC - Try to see the car after it's been sitting for a couple of days. If it drops in one wheel well or on one side, then there's a leak in the ABC system somewhere (may be internal, so you wouldn't see any fluid). Make sure the PPI checks the hoses and verifies that all applicable recalls were done.

Doors - The doors should pull themselves closed if shut lightly (softclose). If they don't, then the latch is leaking, which will eventually cause the air pump to fail. Also, if the car has keyless go, check to make sure that both handles work properly (tap the handle to unlock, touch the small square button to lock).

Interior - Check every switch. Play CD's in both the CD player and changer (if equipped).

Feel and smell the carpeting for signs of water leakage (check up in the footwell under the dash). If the drain from the cowl area becomes clogged, water can leak into the passenger compartment, which can wreak havoc on the car's electrical system. If there are any signs of water leakage, run.

Brakes and tires - These are both pretty darn expensive on this car. You can try to negotiate them as part of the sale if they need to be done.

Engine - Some of the 600 owners can probably chime in with more detail.

I'm sure there's plenty that I'm forgetting. Good luck with your search!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Crossfire SRT-6
2003+ or nothing.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W221 2013 s550 Rwd
Ok... if you want an 01-02 this is the part of the engine that you have to watch out for , the oil cooler plate sits smack perfect in between the cylinder heads . This oil cooler plate is a common and very expensive repair. The 03 twin turbo motor has more power and it is more reliable , but still expensive to maintain. The oil cooler issue is not present on the TT motor. Both v12's have ignition coil packs that are one piece on both banks... these fail often too and are at least $900 a piece. I have seen 01-02 v12's with some miles on them, make sure the oil cooler issue is taken care of because this is labor intensive job, heads are removed to fix. hope this helps , and everything STARPOWER said is on the money as well. Goodluck