ABC warning need help asap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
cl600
ABC warning need help asap

abc light came on sunday. next day it was off. ran the car about 20 miles, shut her off. came back about 40 minutes later, turned car on and abc warning again. drove home and checked engine compartment. noticed abc resevoir had over flowed slightly. pulled up dipstick and fluid was almost to top of reservoir with engine just shut off. brought it to dealer and they couldn't find a code. they replaced the abc pump 2 months ago and refilled the system. no problem until yesterday. 2 months after installation. i never added fluid and the reservoir never overflowed before yesterday. i assume the fluid is heating up more than in the past 2 months, or there is some type of restriction somewhere. the car rides fine and all tires are at correct height. what would cause the reservoir to overflow at this point and the light to go on? any suggestions? car is at dealer now and i'd like to give them some more input.
thanks in advance.
p.s. it a 2004 cl600 with 78000 miles.

Last edited by biker349; 03-29-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl500 2001
System burp?

Originally Posted by biker349
abc light came on sunday. next day it was off. ran the car about 20 miles, shut her off. came back about 40 minutes later, turned car on and abc warning again. drove home and checked engine compartment. noticed abc resevoir had over flowed slightly. pulled up dipstick and fluid was almost to top of reservoir with engine just shut off. brought it to dealer and they couldn't find a code. they replaced the abc pump 2 months ago and refilled the system. no problem until yesterday. 2 months after installation. i never added fluid and the reservoir never overflowed before yesterday. i assume the fluid is heating up more than in the past 2 months, or there is some type of restriction somewhere. the car rides fine and all tires are at correct height. what would cause the reservoir to overflow at this point and the light to go on? any suggestions? car is at dealer now and i'd like to give them some more input.
thanks in advance.
p.s. it a 2004 cl600 with 78000 miles.
You might have just had a little air pocket trapped somewhere and some combination of time/bump caused it to work free.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Did they do the rodeo after they changed the pump? That should purge air and get the fluid fully circulated. They might need to rodeo it again to be sure.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
hi, got car back wed. they couldn't find a fault code, but did remove excess fluid. they said they could not duplicate the problem and the abc light never came on even after driving 30 minutes. i asked about a possible valve blockage, or restiction and the tech said that definitely would throw a code. i also asked if somehow the fluid was over heating and he dimissed that as a problem. i'm sure they rodeod it, but if the problem comes back i will bring it back and ask. hopefully removing the excess fluid solved the problem, but i don't understand why that would take 2 months before it showed up as a warning light. in any event i hope the problem is solved. if it isn't i may ask for a different tech to look at it. on the good side, they didn't charge me and provided a loaner. any other insight would be greatly appreciated. i'll keep you updated.
thanks for input.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
it's been about a week and no abc warning light yet (crossing fingers, knock on wood). it appears so far that the excess fluid caused the warning light. since the tech lowered the fluid it doesn't throw any codes (again, crossing fingers, knock on wood).
Old 05-08-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Previous: R129 1995, W215 2001, Current: W204, Another W215
had a similar problem with 2003 CL55, never been able to figure out the problem, mechanic says there's a very tiny little drop of leak from the driver side rear strut, but it has nothing to do with the overflow, the car might run for a 100 mile without showing any symptom ... confusing to say the least