CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

A REAL Head Scratcher..Someone? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 CL500 SPORT AMG, '06 Range Rover Supercharged
Question A REAL Head Scratcher..Someone? Anyone?

What's going on guys. I have a couple of questions for those of you who either know about or have installed a HID conversion kit for their fogs.

I ordered the kit, a relay harness as well as the error cancellers. I know that it is hit or miss as far as getting an error code because some do and some don't. But I figured I'd play it safe and buy everything possible just to be on the safe side.

Anyway, I went to install the kit this weekend with absolutely ZERO success.
The relay harness has battery terminal connectors (-Neg & +Pos) which are obviously supposed to be connected to the battery, so this way the HIDs draw their power directly from the battery instead of using the car's actual wiring system. The thing is that as you all know, in our cars the battery is located in the TRUNK and not in the engine compartment like a normal car. I've done as much reading and researching as I possibly could and read that there is in fact an indirect Positive+ battery terminal of some sort located in the engine compartment. But there wasn't much more detail about it or its location. Needless to say I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME find this thing and therefore CANNOT INSTALL MY HID KIT!

The place that I found this information did say that if there is no battery located in proximity to where the installation was being done that the relay harness' negative- connector should be grounded/connected to the fender.
Again, as all of us CL owners know, our fenders are NOT a metal of any kind but are basically plastic or fiberglass or whatever they are.

So here are my questions:

1) Does anyone know where this indirect positive battery connection is located within the engine compartment. (That's if of course it does in fact exist)

2) How or where within the engine compartment can I ground/post/connect the negative connector since the fender is plastic?

If anyone has done a 9006 Fog Light HID CONVERSION themselves, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE share with me how you did it.

I try to come on here as much as I can but if at all possible please email me at asbus1@gmail.com

Thanks fellas!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-19-2011, 08:14 AM

Mercedes CL500 '02
Hey there! I have HID in my fogs, and used the car's wiring, with no problems whatsoever....error cancelers work great. Unfortunately I can't really take everything apart to take some pictures, but I think you got the wrong kit (I mean connection wise)......mine was just plug and play, absolutely no rewiring needed.

And, AFAIK, if you order a 50/55W HID Kit, you don't need error cancelers, I run 50W D2S Xenons on short beams without trouble.

Wish you good luck, maybe you can return your kit and get a proper one, maybe look/ask for a picture of the connectors and so on.....
Old 04-25-2011, 04:01 PM

Cl
Hi guys,
Im interested in where you bought your kits from?
How easy are they to install?
Thanks
Old 04-25-2011, 04:32 PM

Mercedes CL500 '02
Hey there :-)

I got mine from lichtex.de , a german shop, and it cost about 90 euros or so......it's very easy to install, just undo the underpanels of the front bumper (I think there are 2 or 3), and all the connections are plug&play (everything clicks into place), the only thing you have to worry about is to fasten the ballasts properly (very tight, and with some vibration dampening), not that they rattle themselves free......

Have a nice day, greetings from Munich
Vlad
Old 04-26-2011, 02:50 PM

'04 CL500 SPORT AMG, '06 Range Rover Supercharged
Originally Posted by vladiiiii
Hey there :-)

I got mine from lichtex.de , a german shop, and it cost about 90 euros or so......it's very easy to install, just undo the underpanels of the front bumper (I think there are 2 or 3), and all the connections are plug&play (everything clicks into place), the only thing you have to worry about is to fasten the ballasts properly (very tight, and with some vibration dampening), not that they rattle themselves free......

Have a nice day, greetings from Munich
Vlad
Vlad, being that the battery is in the trunk, my MAIN problem is finding a way to connect to it. How did you connect to the battery?? Can you give me details? Or was the car battery no where in the picture for your install? THANKS!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:06 PM

Mercedes CL500 '02
Hey :-)

Nope, I didn't use the battery at all.....I drew up a scheme, (attachment) for you to see how my setup was done. Long story short, instead of plugging the bulbs to the car's wiring, you just plug those 2 connectors, and then the power goes through the HID Ballast, onto the real HID Lamp (HB4 / 9006). Easy money, no need to do anything else. No extra fuse, no extra + or - connectors to the battery, nothing.

Ok, my Kit looked a tiny bit different because it had error cancelers in it, but that's just one extra small black box, the basics are the same.

Hope you understood my setup!
Greets
Vlad
Attached Thumbnails A REAL Head Scratcher..Someone? Anyone?-xenon.jpg