CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

2006 cl55amg on texas backroads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cl500, 560sec, s500c, e320cab, 560sel, 450sel6.9, cl55amg
2006 cl55amg on texas backroads

there are few fun, scenic ways to drive from houston to dallas.

still, that is how i prefer to make that trip. principally because interstate 45 is so horrible.

the best thing about my crazy farm to market, secondary road routes, is the absence of mounties. you can drive the cl55amg as it was designed to be driven. fast.

and you can still see something of rural texas and the enlarging urbanization.

i did get stopped by a deputy sheriff outside of the ghost town, north zulch.

we didn't discuss how fast i was going. but i know how fast i was going. perhaps he couldn't get a good fix on me as he was driving north when i was driving south and turned on his instant-on radar. could it be accurate in that circumstance?

i think he almost was willing to let me go, but then he made a u-turn and finally turned on his lights. i pulled over. he came up and asked for my license and insurance papers. then said, asking for the insurance papers is something of a joke as cars like this do not drive uninsured.

after a few minutes he came back, handed me my license and insurance doc, and said, try to keep your speed down, ok?

i thanked him. and i almost wanted to ask him what the computer revealed. did it reveal that the montgomery county deputies have given up on me. that they know i own fast cars and drive them responsibly, but fast? and that they have let me go on every occasion in the last two years?

or did this deputy just understand fast cars on virtually empty secondary roads?

though i would love to have seen what his computer revealed about me, i just put my driving gloves back on, and motored on south.

worst aspect of the conclusion of the run was when a dps officer turned off fm1375 behind me on fm149. forcing me to hold to 55 in one of the best twisty bit roads within 200 miles of houston. i am not sure that he enjoyed driving 55 any more than i did.

in my lotus days in the 1970's, i was known for running this bit of twisties. and the dps loved to stop me. never ticketed. they just wanted to check out the car. because it was so unlike anything else they encountered back then.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CL600, VW W8, Dodge 2500 Cummins
Maybe they're just checking for moonshine. I buy those "I support FOP" stickers for insurance.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 CLA Motorsport Edition, 2015 G550, 2012 GLK350
Try the roads going to Crockett. Especially 21 going through the Davey Crockett Forrest.