CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Bluetooth or wired iPhone/MP3 solution w/o loosing factory CD?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silver MY03 CL500 w/AMG Sport Pkg
Bluetooth or wired iPhone/MP3 solution w/o loosing factory CD?

I know about the Denison Lite Gateway500 and other items that tap into the HU or in my case with the Nav\COMMAND Unit into the D2B fiber and replace the factory CD changer so the controls for the CD changer are used to a limited fashion from the wheel and from the main unit.

However, I was wondering on why hijack the CD controls to begin with?

Is there a device that allows you to add it to the ring, then have the device (the iphone/mp3 converter box) use a USB or proprietary connector wire that can be run back to the armrest or console of the car and some fenagiling get the controls to show nicely or have a bluetooth adapter in the trunk and "read" the iPhone/MP3 signal from the cabin wirelessly? The CD changer will still work via the steering wheel and regular controls, yet the iPhone would work via the local controls setup in the dash, glovebox or the armrest where the connector wire terminates and send the sound through the car's speaker system. No worries on COMMAND compatibility or what controls are usable and all stock functions are still in place and you don't have to dedicate a ipod or iphone or MP3 player in the trunk and A2DP streaming should function.

Any ideas if anything is out there like that?

- Henry
Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 PM

2002 CL 500
Don't think so. I installed a Dension unit. It has USB,iPOD JACK,AUX.

Of course it hi-jacks the CD function. Not a problem for me. It was good riddance. It plays 99 tracks.

The radio only has so many functions. One has to be sacrificed to the best of my recent knowledge.

I guess they could use the cassette function. But that would only offer 2 tracks.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 PM

Silver MY03 CL500 w/AMG Sport Pkg
True 'nuff that the radio and CD controls have to be sacrificed if you wish to control the iPhone/MP3 device via the wheel or radio/HU. But what if you don't, what if you are willing to use a separate controller (similar to how the $99 MB solution to BT is done by attaching to the visor, for instance) and just want the music to go through the car's speakers. Again the setup would leave the car in stock form with full functions and the controls don't have to be on the visor but could be in the glovebox or armrest. Either way the idea is to have full functions (including a functioning CD changer), and maybe a wireless (wired would work too, but be more of a PITA to install and setup) ability to have the MP3 and iPhone music pipe through the speakers without having to use clunky FM modulations and such. Remember the NAV COMMAND HU has the cassette hidden behind the screen and a wired FM Modulation via the cassette tape would not work.