differences between 2 post and 4 post plug for radiator fans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
differences between 2 post and 4 post plug for radiator fans

i had my radiator fan fall over while i was doing my engine swap so i think it might have gone bad because it doesn't work when the car is getting hot. from what i can find online it seems that the 02 cl500 chassis that i have came with -

the 2 post plug, and an aux fan control module underneath one of the headlights. from what i can tell online, the fan has a belt that goes through the entire assembly that is visible

but upon further inspection you can clearly see my radiator fan is the style where you can't see the belt. it has a the newer 4 plug connector.

my question is, is the 4 post plug radiator fan have the control module built into it? or do i still need to replace the aux fan control module after i get a new fan? i have power coming from my 4 post plug in the chassis so i know the fan is getting power, it's just not kicking on. also tried applying 12v directly to fan itself and i couldn't get it to move

any help is appreciated as im trying to order this fan and get my daily driver on the road as soon as possible

edit:my main issue is finding the correct replacement fan online for my application. i searched all the part numbers on the radiator fan to no avail....

i checked both fuse panels under the hood and the fuse panel under rear seat and all fuses were good also

getting same "coolant visit workshop" error i've been getting for a long time now (since before i did the engine swap). maybe this is a side effect of the newer style fan being fitted to my car?

Last edited by ctravis595; 04-19-2013 at 01:23 PM.