CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

new owner...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL55K AMG - Audi TT 1.8T - Honda Goldwing GL1800
Talking new owner...

Gentlemen, I'm a happy new owner of a y2k CL500 tanzanite blue/quartz since last friday evening. Nedless to say I'm thrilled with the car, inspite of a couple of gremlins that showed up during the weekend, so I thought it best to suscribe and join the board, to learn as much as possible through your own experience with this model.

I'm coming from a long history with BMW's ownership, some (at least one, OrangeMarlin) members here would recognize me from the bmw forumses (e-31 & e-39 M5).
My latest BMW was an M5 wich I traded in for the CL. Although we have another Benz in the house (SLK200K) it is not comparable with the CL and I'm lost when it comes to a lot of functions...

Gremlins: oh yeah, there's always some no matter wich car we drive, so I don't take it too hard, even if they are saying 'hello' from day 1...

Windows: well known problem apparently, I met this gremlin while I had the 850i, tomorrow's the first appointment with the SA so let's hear what he says, but if by chance anyone has some light to shed, please do so. Both rears won't operate by depressing the switch, front ones will stop half.way up and go down again to 1/3. If kept depressed, the fronts will go up all the way, and the rears will engage its locking position.

Auto-lock: does not work when I leave the car unlocked, but it does while I'm driving...

Oh well, I'll find out more tomorrow, and will get an appointment for nav/tv retrofitting + rear shade...auch! abt $10k (8kEuros) more...(BMW's are equally expensive, don't worry, I've been there too).

Yikes! This is a looong post to be the first one, don't worry, I won't bug the board so much each time I'm posting, it's the excitement of a child after christmas...

brgds, Marcelo
Attached Thumbnails new owner...-dcp00694.jpg  
Old 11-19-2003, 06:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Congrats, its a beautiful car.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
window malfunction

Marcelo,

first thing, congrats on the CL purchase. my favorite modern MB

the express up/down feature on the windows are acting up. basically the computer has forgotten where the windows are supposed to stop, so they go all over the place. the fix is to press and hold the switch in the up position even past when the window reaches the top........hold for about another 20 seconds and hopefully the computer will commit the current position of the window in its memory and your windows should work normally again. best of luck .
Old 11-21-2003, 04:01 AM

Thanks for the replies Gents.

I have yesterday visited the local MB dealer, they fixed the windows, but was warned that if it starts acting up again, a new control unit will be needed. This is apparently a well known problem for this model. However, I'll try your suggestion if it happens again before to visit again the dealer (however, the car's under guarantee, so I don't care much for them changing something if that will solve the prob permanently)....

The car is wonderful, I'm putting some miles on it (trying to find excuses to make short trips) and each mile confirms that it was a great choice to make.

Will update once the Command is installed, I'm excited to learn how different (if at all) it is from the BMW system.

Brgds, marcelo
Old 11-21-2003, 08:05 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hi marcelo,

good luck with your CL.
the CL is my favorite Benz.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
15 cls 550
I had the same problem with the front windows. First, I tried holding down the button. That worked for about a week. Then, the dealer reprogrammed the computer. That worked for about 2 weeks. Finally, they replaced the control units and window motors, and that seems to have solved the problem.
Good luck
Old 11-24-2003, 12:50 PM

I had the central unit reprogrammed, it worked for a day or so, then failed again. I have in order a new unit to replace the old one, I'm told at MB that this is the only real solution after reprogramming fails.

Oh well, is winter now, so I don't care to wait for some days to have this working.

Thanks for the advice though
brgs, marcelo
Old 11-25-2003, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
hey congrats bro..