CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

CL on the road

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S65 AMG, 2005 SL65 AMG, 2005 Porsche Carrera, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2001 Acura CL Type S
CL on the road

In the past 4 years since I owned the CL with CK60 package, I have learned that the Unnerving is just part of the ownership.

In May I was on a road trip with the CL (3000 miles) and I am continuing the trek in June. I am putting some miles on this thing.

No issues, except for some unnerving "messages".

1. "Side yellow light not working" message (on the front bumper) was not working according to the "malfunction message". Ok, I thought I will replace the bulb when I get to it. After refueling and starting a car, the light was back on, no issues. I have no idea how to explain this. Any ideas?

2. "Coolant level low" warning. This particular sensor must be overly sensitive because I did not notice any change in the coolant level and there are no leaks. Again, after restarting the car the message went away. I added a bit of coolant for a good measure to the tank.

3. Windshield washer fluid warning. It seems that this fluid can partially evaporate or my "windshield washer" tank is not 100% sealed. It also gets relatively hot since it sits right next to the coolant tank (which gets very warm).

4. P0300 misfire message pops up from time to time. Some people already suggested that it may be the ignition voltage regulator. I have new coils, new sparkplugs. No loss in power. No weird noises. Didn't have a chance to connect it to STAR yet to find out what exactly is causing this.

5. From time to time I feel what can only be described as a slight "shudder" which is felt in the seat. Could this be an onset of an issue with a pulsation dampener? Shudder is very subtle and it disappears after a while and it is more likely to occur at speeds below 80.

6. After Seafoam/Techron treatment, hwy mileage is now over 20mpg. Not that it matters.

7. Engine temp is around 90C (in the middle of the "band" above "80") and it drops when air temperature outside drops below 70F.

8. It is a beast to drive!
Old 06-10-2015, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
sometimes you get glitches in the computer. when you shut off the car the computer resets itself. winshield washer could have a leak in the pump, or hose attached to the pump. vibration could be motor, or tranny mounts.
good luck and enjoy.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:22 PM

2008 S65 AMG, 2005 SL65 AMG, 2005 Porsche Carrera, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2001 Acura CL Type S
CL on the road

Since tranny and motor mounts are (relatively) new - I had them replaced two years ago and did not drive the car much - what are the other potential causes of the shudder?

Should I look into (proactively) replacing the pulsation dampeners? Is there a way to check if they are still working properly? The shudder comes in "waves", barely noticeable and goes away after a short period of time.

This thread describes something similar:
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...ay-speeds.html

I will have the flex disks and center driveshaft checked when I am done driving

Originally Posted by biker349
sometimes you get glitches in the computer. when you shut off the car the computer resets itself. winshield washer could have a leak in the pump, or hose attached to the pump. vibration could be motor, or tranny mounts.
good luck and enjoy.

Last edited by CL600CK60V12; 06-10-2015 at 05:40 PM. Reason: md
Old 06-13-2015, 06:40 PM

flex discs ok / debugging power outlet

I had the flex discs inspected - they are not cracked, so that is not the cause of vibration.

Mechanic inspected other suspension components also (struts, ball joints), they are ok too. We will try to balance the wheels again to see if that helps. Vibration does occur at certain speeds (between 60-70) so it could have something to do with tire/wheel balance. There is no noise other than vibration and ride is not uncomfortable (likely not related then to pulsation dampeners?)

Power outlet in the dash (next to the ashtray) is not working. Fuse is ok. Mechanic will look into this more when I take the car back for balancing. No idea why the power outlet is "out" when fuse is ok. Did anybody have this issue?

Is there another power outlet in the car (in the back maybe?)