CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

YellowSpeed pre-install question: what overall length for struts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL-500
YellowSpeed pre-install question: what overall length for struts?

Hello my patient friends:
getting ready to do the deed :-) Have a question:

How long should the struts be when unloaded, corresponding to a typical lowered stance?

As the struts arrived assembled, I am hoping to get an unloaded length for them before installing. How long should they be for 1" lowered stance? (i.e., approx 26.5" to 27" to rear fender lip in rear, 26.5" in front.)

Edit: I'm into the project now. I guess the best measurement is from the bottom of the spring collar to the top of the base sleeve (the part that rotates to adjust). I'll post my own measurements when I'm finished if no one has this handy.

Edit: Finished with the project. Wish I had this info available then - allows one-time install rather than trial-and-error length adjustments for ride height. I did it 4 times to provide a range of adjustment results.
Note that these "gap" lengths are from the bottom of the spring retaining collar to the top of the lower (adjustable) sleeve (bottom of A to top of C in photo) (Thanks to Aref). Note: "bottom of A" refers to the lip that the spring sits on, and not the bottom of the upper locking collar. Per YellowSpeed warnings, I did not try to adjust the spring pre-load, so these are right from the box.

Ride Height is measured from the ground to the fender lip, vertically along the centerline of the wheel. Standard AMG 18" wheels with standard tires (245/45-18, 26.7 diameter). If you have a different size wheel/tire combination, measure the diameter of what you have and adjust accordingly.

Last edited by smartadze; 12-01-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Cl600 TT
I am doing yellow speeds on my cl600 at the moment , once installed i will pass on the measurement
The following users liked this post:
smartadze (09-20-2017)
Old 12-01-2018, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
this should be stickied IMO, i had trouble finding it but it is very useful