CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Selling my CL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 06:42 PM

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 C300
Selling my CL600

Well guys, I hadn't been active here for the past nearly year much because I had made the decision to sell my low mileage and impeccably maintained 2004 CL600 with the Kleemann tune. 10 months later, taking very nearly half what I initially listed it for, the car went to it's new owner. I had many low ball offers during that time, some of which ended up being better than what I got. Turns out, it doesn't matter if you've taken the time to do literally every maintenance item that exists and some that don't, that the car has zero issues and has already had most of the common ones handled. Your car, unless you have extensive dealer records, will be looked at like the usual junkers on Craigslist.

Honestly, my feelings were a bit hurt, it felt demeaning to take so far below what the car was worth, but the truth is that it was the best I could do. In 10 months, I paid $1500 in insurance and another $1500 to ship it cross country because it didn't sell before I had to move, and I only drove it 600 miles in that time. The new owner loved the car, loved the power, and since it was purchased as part of a vacation, immediately put more miles on it in days than it had seen in nearly a year. So, of course, a couple days later, he contacts me after he couldn't get the car to take gasoline. Turns out, the filler flap failed closed, and he managed to flood the charcoal canister. So, a couple days in, he had his first Mercedes experience, an entirely random and, for me, never before heard of issue leaving him stuck in town until the apparently unobtainium parts arrived, with a car that didn't want to run right and he couldn't put gas in.

I felt terrible for the guy, it had to happen on vacation with his wife and friends. But that's what it is owning one of these cars. Times of unparalleled grace, power, and comfort followed by utter obliteration of your wallet and patience. It's that cycle that explains why I was only able to get just over half of my investment into the car back. Still, no regrets, I adored the car while I had it, and it never left me stranded, I was able to at least get it home anytime a failure became noticeably imminent. And you guys helped me a lot along the way, so thank you very much! My brother's beloved 2005 Audi A8L will be taking it's place in my stable here shortly, with all of it's wonderful upgrades and truly impeccable maintenance history.