CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Rear ABC hose removal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2024, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes cl55
Thanks for the detailed information Tim. Question about hose

Hey Tim, thanks for the detailed write up. What are the dimensions for the ABC hoses above the exhaust and the couplers? I would like to have them made at a local shop but need to buy all the hoses and connectors first. Thanks so much!

[
QUOTE=tim687;8801351]For new high quality flexible sections, message me!

Last few weekends I've been busy replacing the rear ABC lines. One of them, above the exhaust had failed and I didn't know what line that was.

That was the point I decided to give the whole car new flexible hoses, starting with the rear hoses.

The rear hoses included:
  • Both strut lines
  • Rear accumulator line
I'll do the line of death soon, which does not have to be taken off the car to be repaired!

Now here are my 2cts when it comes to these hoses.

Despite what everybody is saying they are fairly easy to get to; get the car on 4 jack stands and loosen the sub frame bolts.

The rear sub frame should come lose and the struts will hold it place.
It is essential to do this, otherwise you can't get the lines from underneath the car.

Loosen all retainers and disconnect the slow disconnects from the struts. (I needed to use alligator pliers for this)
Then it's just a matter of getting the hoses out. You'll need to use your imagination to route all the bends over the sub frame and such.

When all hoses are out, you'll want to respray the metal sections, please note the part number of the hose that you have installed (it's on the crimp, near the connectors)
Also, you'd want to mark each section with an unique number and you'll also want to mark the number of the neighboring sections on every section. It's hard to know what goes where when the line is all apart.

Then you'll want to cut out a slot on both sides of the crimp, perpendicular to the line. You'll later use those slots and a flat head to get the crimps off.
Then you'd want to contact me, since I have the correct dimensions for new easy to install flexible sections and I can ship the correct ones to you.

These flexible sections are rated at a whopping 445 bars. These will outlast the car.
For easy installation, you shall install the metal lines first and whilst those being on the car, you should install the flexible sections into place. Then, you should tighten the nuts of the new flexible sections, to the point that you can't rotate them anymore.
In general I recommend starting with the connections to the valve body first, since it's hard to get them in when there is a little tension on the lines.

Fill the reservoir up more than you usually would. Start the car and bleed the system.
You'll now have upgraded hoses installed that will outlast the car.

[/QUOTE]