CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Considering another MB

Old 02-13-2018, 12:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
SL55, Opel GT, 70 LT-1, BMW 745 turbo, MRoadster, 49 Stude truck, 69 Z/28, Ferrari project
Considering another MB

Have missed you guys and the great tech support on this site. I haven't been here in a while since I sold Sherri's 03 CL600. Just looking through some of the threads, seems like most of the new guys want to talk about eliminating mufflers and resonators.
That'a fine if you are racing, but one of the things we loved about the CL600 was how wonderfully quiet it was on our commute.

Bought Sherri another MRoadster. She really likes it, but is having second thoughts. Thinks she might want something more practical but still fun. Looking at BMW crossovers, like the X1. I am too embarrassed to even admit what we have been using as a commuter car the last 6 mos. Can't even say it out loud. Even my 5 year old twin grandsons make fun of it.

I also have too many cars in my garage right now. Designed it for 9 cars and currently have 11 in there. The overcrowded garage issue would resolve if I could get my shop built... but that is another very long story. The commuter car stays outside unless it is bitter cold. I don't want to get into a freezing cold car in the morning. That is one of the reasons we sold the CL600. I refused to park it outside overnight, but parking in my garage blocked in three other cars. I am considering selling three cars (which means at least one of the classics has to go) and buying two, one being the aforementioned BMW. I am really comfotable with Bimmers. Between my brother and I we have bought 59 of them starting in 1976. I must be certifiable, as I am considering another blown MB. Life is too short to drive a boring car.

I have also decided that the quote in Matt's signature line is correct. One of these just isn't worth the headache unless it has 600+ hp. That means I either need to modify a blown 600 or just buy a CL65, SL65 or a S65. I am leaning toward the SL65.
I am guessing they have all of the same recurring issues we see with the CL600 along with ADDITIONAL issues with the retractable roof. If any of you guys knows of some glaring reason to avoid the SL65, don't be bashful. Speak up.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by LynnBilodeau
Have missed you guys and the great tech support on this site. I haven't been here in a while since I sold Sherri's 03 CL600. Just looking through some of the threads, seems like most of the new guys want to talk about eliminating mufflers and resonators.
That'a fine if you are racing, but one of the things we loved about the CL600 was how wonderfully quiet it was on our commute.

Bought Sherri another MRoadster. She really likes it, but is having second thoughts. Thinks she might want something more practical but still fun. Looking at BMW crossovers, like the X1. I am too embarrassed to even admit what we have been using as a commuter car the last 6 mos. Can't even say it out loud. Even my 5 year old twin grandsons make fun of it.

I also have too many cars in my garage right now. Designed it for 9 cars and currently have 11 in there. The overcrowded garage issue would resolve if I could get my shop built... but that is another very long story. The commuter car stays outside unless it is bitter cold. I don't want to get into a freezing cold car in the morning. That is one of the reasons we sold the CL600. I refused to park it outside overnight, but parking in my garage blocked in three other cars. I am considering selling three cars (which means at least one of the classics has to go) and buying two, one being the aforementioned BMW. I am really comfotable with Bimmers. Between my brother and I we have bought 59 of them starting in 1976. I must be certifiable, as I am considering another blown MB. Life is too short to drive a boring car.

I have also decided that the quote in Matt's signature line is correct. One of these just isn't worth the headache unless it has 600+ hp. That means I either need to modify a blown 600 or just buy a CL65, SL65 or a S65. I am leaning toward the SL65.
I am guessing they have all of the same recurring issues we see with the CL600 along with ADDITIONAL issues with the retractable roof. If any of you guys knows of some glaring reason to avoid the SL65, don't be bashful. Speak up.
nice to see you back !! The sl65 is a fantastic car , similar issues to the cl with abc , coil packs Etc
plus the top mechanism

would Love to see pics of your classics ! I'm up to about 29 with a 2 car garage so I know the pains
Old 02-13-2018, 09:50 AM

SL55, Opel GT, 70 LT-1, BMW 745 turbo, MRoadster, 49 Stude truck, 69 Z/28, Ferrari project

Most of my cars are not particulaly valuable to anyone but me. One of my favorites is this old Studebaker dump truck. Zero rust. Sat in a barn in the high desert in South Dakota for years. Here it is at our old house. All of them are incredibly dirty right now.
I have been down much of the time since last Sept. Was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I had zero symptoms other than an elevated PSA. So..... GET YOUR PSA LEVELS CHECKED, starting at age 50.
I underwent a radical robotic prostetechtomy on Nov. 13. Recovered well after 26 days. On the 27th day had a post op infection from hell start. Took longer to get over that than the surgery.
Just now getting back into the swing of things.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:49 AM

"...would Love to see pics of your classics ! I'm up to about 29 with a 2 car garage so I know the pains."

29 cars! 2 car garage? Where in the world do you keep them?

Would like to see some pics. Here is a pic of the car I have had the longest. 1969 Z/28 that I acquired in 1976. Has just over 28,000 miles on it. I do drive it occasionally. That isn't the original paint, but it was originally painted black.
This is close to what it looks like today. I do have the original ralley wheels with reproduction bias ply tires, but it rides horribly, so I would rather drive on the Centerlines with modern day radials.