CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Ease my concerns - CL600 potential buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Chevy Bolt EV
Lightbulb Ease my concerns - CL600 potential buyer

Good evening all! After several years of non-Benz ownership, I've decided to get back into the game with something a littler saucier than my old, brown, W123.

For sale near me is a beautiful Designo Black on black CL600 that seems to be pretty straight on paper. Carfax shows it's been maintained at the local MB dealer all it's life, and with only 76k miles on it, it should have plenty of life ahead of it.

I know about all the usual concerns about ABC, but the one item on the carfax report shows that about 15k miles ago, the dealer "bled the power steering system" and "replaced the power steering pump" on this car. Would this put any of you guys and gals at ease knowing that a major part of the ABC system has been replaced, especially at the dealer level? The car is priced right, and the CL-Class I've always thought was MB's best looking car of the era.

My only other, admittedly minor, concern is the ability to add bluetooth audio to the car, or something similar to it, that works reasonably well. This is only a second car for me, and I'd maybe cover 5-7k a year on it, with the rest going on my humble Bolt EV.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:42 PM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Mercedes S550 Coupe (now) CL55 (until last March 3), Ferrari 612, Porsche Macan GTS
Looks like a nice car. It has Brabus aftermarket wheels (which I like a lot). Personally I like the lines of this CL more than later versions. They also came with all the options and lack very little.

My CL 55 shares daily driver duties with my Ferrari 612 and both are a blast to drive. So I think you are likely to really enjoy it.

In terms of ABC issues I think they are over stated. I think the key is the car is well maintained. So you should get a PPI to make sure.

My CL 55 is an 05 with 100k miles and I have never had an ABC problem or any other problem other than typical maintenance. In my experience the car is bullet proof.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Looks good and I agree that it is probably my favorite body style from Mercedes. The only real issues with the v12 cars are going to be the suspension and ignition systems. Just keep in mind that if a coil pack fails, or if you decide to do spark plugs on your car, none of it is cheap and quick. A coil you can source for about $1000 or so and then just hope the other side doesn't also fail soon after. The spark plugs.. well there are 24 of them and its recommended to also replace the insulator boots in the coils if you have them off.

Great car to drive, just hope that it is worry free for you for a while.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 490 Likes on 433 Posts
Mercedes
It's definitely nice that it's had the abc pump replaced but that didn't guarantee against other abc failures such as accumulators , hoses , valve blocks or the struts themselves

at this age these parts are simply all at the end of life and will fail -it's a matter of when , not if . Could be 3 weeks or 3 years , my cl500 had no issues for three years but then three different abc hoses failed within a year . Hydraulic systems require maintenance and parts replacement , it's common to all hydraulic systems