Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Rear a/c?

Intro
So I have been trying to rehaul my ac system, weather is finally nice again here in Florida so I’ve started doing a lot of TLC. Bugs and heat make it unbearable to work on the car without a lift and a garage

so I started by addressing the warm a/c issue first, I must have loosened a fitting, or excarbated a premature failure of my ac compressor when I did my engine swap. I left the ac compressor in the car while I swapped engines to avoid dealing with draining and refilling the refrigerant.

Not too long after the engine swap, the ac stopped being as cold on the passenger side , eventually the driver side also started only being warm. Re-charging the ac system seemed to fix the problem temporarily so now I’ve now added some dye with the Freon to pin point my leak

rear a/c
I noticed the rear ac has never been extremely impressive on this car. Is this normal? Does anyone have extremely cold, and powerful airflow from the rear ac vents?

At best, all I could remember is having very weak airflow, and the air wasn’t necessarily very cold either.

Is there a seperate blower motor for the rear ac? Is it supposed to be weak?

I havent been able to find any threads on this matter . And cooling the rear of the car will be very helpful in the warm Florida summers with black on black coloring
Old 12-08-2018, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
I found my issue, depicted in the photo. The white plastic piece connected to the black gear, is controlled by the small black “arm” you can see, coming from the bottom of the assembly

this photo is with the arm reattached, and the vent, now open for airflow(and cleaning, it was pretty gross)

to get this view you need to remove the rear ashtray, and then the rear vent assembly should slide up and backwards. Take care not to rip the connectors for the window and headrest control. I had three wires to disconnect before I could take out the vent assembly fully. I tested the ac and it works great now in the back. Hope this helps someone

while in the rear and playing with the ac, I learned the car not only has rear ac vents; it has rear ac vents under the seats too. Even more wild is that I found the knob inside the center console controls airflow to the center console box as well. I can’t imagine much of a use for a climate controlled center console but hey I guess it’s a cool feature