CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Sit up Straight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500
Red face Sit up Straight

Im the proud owner of a 2003 CL 500 AMG. aside from some ABC issues she's in gud condition but there are some things id like to handle NOw before they become a problem. my main concerns are replacing the suspension with strutmasters and the revving sound it make i dnt know if its the fan of the timing belt but its annoying... also every once and a while my traction alert light comes on when i make a turn .... anybody got any suggestions?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 12-11-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL-500
Welcome Lloyd! :-)
The consensus seems to be a preference for the YellowSpeed conversion over the Strutmasters (search the forum for reasons, sources etc). And the noise when revving - if you're lucky, it's the $15 belt tensioner; if not, it's the ABC tandem pump (power steering + ABC). Only real way to tell is buy a cheap "mechanic's stethoscope" from Amazon ($17 as I remember) and use it to pinpoint the source of the noise. My bet is the belt tensioner. Check the fluid levels in everything before you start (and top off as necessary).

The ESP traction alert I can't help you with, but there are many here who can. Good luck and happy motoring!
Old 12-15-2018, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Originally Posted by Lloyd Garner
Im the proud owner of a 2003 CL 500 AMG. aside from some ABC issues she's in gud condition but there are some things id like to handle NOw before they become a problem. my main concerns are replacing the suspension with strutmasters and the revving sound it make i dnt know if its the fan of the timing belt but its annoying... also every once and a while my traction alert light comes on when i make a turn .... anybody got any suggestions?!?!?!?!?!?!?

open the hood...if its the fan on full blast at all times then the electronics need checked, or replaced

strutmasters is good and nice ride quality, but not great for large rims and the ride height isn't the best

yellow speed are better for ride height, and handling is improved from strutmasters but they have a tendency to be too bouncy over bumps at high speeds

traction control could be a number of things..you might be breaking traction from quick cornering, with ABC suspension it is very difficult to understand how heavy these cars are..paired with the v8 its easy to lose traction in turns sometimes and not realize it

otherwise it could be a steering angle sensor. try turning the steering wheel from full left to right and back again to reset the steering angle sensors

also some people will get upset if you say your cl500 is an AMG, the cl500 with AMG appearance package aren't considered "real amg's" without the drivetrain etc