Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 137 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Shift bushing replacement for w215

Situation/symptoms
So the other day I pulled in the car and put it in Park. The shifter felt weird and when I released my foot from the brake, the car continued to lurch forward as if it was still in gear! I also had a rattling noise coming from underneath the car that was fixed with these new bushings. Turns out my clips were just dangling around with no bushings.

So I figured I might need to replace the clips and bushing on my shifter assembly. I'm not going to be covering the tools/procedure to remove the center console since there are other instructions available for this matter specifically

Tools
-two new bushings
-two new clips
-12-14" extension needle nose pliers, preferably with a curve at the end like these
https://png2.kisspng.com/sh/a2b3ac1d...0613704825.png
-pick tool, with hooked end

Repair
To replace the bushing and clip on the underside of the shifter, you'll have to disassemble the entire center console....including the radio and everything. there are many videos online regarding the removal of the center console on this car so i won't be covering that

Follow the instructions the same as you would for replacing your shifter. To replace the bushing and clip it's easiest to do this with the shifter removed. You cannot access this first set of bushing/clips from the underside of the car.

First get underneath the car and disconnect the shift linkage from the transmission. It can be done with a pair of extension needle nose pliers, or pried apart with a flathead screwdriver. If your car has 100k miles I'll bet your bushing has completely disappeared like mine

With the shifter removed, the rubber and clip are pretty straight forward to install. Make sure you install the bushing first into the hole, then slide the new clip over the top of the "arm" that protrudes from the shifter

Now that you have installed this first bushing, you'll understand how difficult it is to install the bushing on the transmission....

Attach the shift linkage to the shifter assembly. From here you can slide your shift linkage into the opening in the transmission tunnel forward, until you are able to get your shifter back into its natural position. Once this is in place you can re attach the three Hex screws holding down the shift assembly.

Surgery time
Now time for the hard part....

Hopefully you have a lift and have invested in the special tool (linked below) for this bushing as there is only enough room to fit in a few fingers...its a very very annoying process for only $3 worth of parts....The transmission should be in Neutral in order to have the right spacing to install the shift linkage. It will help to have someone in the car slightly manipulating the shifter in different directions to get everything to line up perfectly. You won't have room to manipulate everything from under the car without removing other components like the chassis cross member, exhaust hangers etc

I decided to skip investing in the tool since I knew I'd only use it once... so I fought with this bottom bushing for hours while underneath the car

Eventually the tools that helped me place the bushing was a pair of 14" extension needle nose pliers. To get the clip in place I used a hooked pick and also the needle nose pliers again. Like I said, there won't be room to get in there with your hands, all of this must be done with good lighting and tools and concentration

Old 01-01-2019, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

These are the part numbers for the clips and bushings. However I recommend double checking with your local dealership about fitment
Old 01-01-2019, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another side note

if you are nearing 100k miles, consider doing this job as “routine maintenance” as like I said, this linkage can fall apart and leave you stranded some day. One of my biggest goals with the W215 was to make it into a car that never leaves you stranded(hence my quickness to ditch abc suspension)