CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

2003 CL600 Front corner slammed after ABC block rebuild

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 11:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
SL55 CL600 and 335D (rip flood) 325ci
2003 CL600 Front corner slammed after ABC block rebuild

Hello comrades. I'm fresh off of my attempt to over haul my front ABC block and I have a major issue.

I used an Abbes Performance kit. It looked great with excellent instructions that I pretty much didn't follow. I took the block out of the car and swapped out the o rings and springs as per the instructions. I didn't put the color coded dots on the solenoids to keep track of the lines and plugs undue stress for that one. I advise doing that it's worth the time.

I didn't replace the teflon parts. The issue now is that after buttoning everything back up the right side front corner was slammed to the ground, I plugged in my star and ran xentry. The car didn't want to initiate the rodeo. It would perform other tasks like pitch and roll. Sometimes the car would find the level and stay up perfectly. I did recalibrate the strut travel sensors. The car stayed up nice and level. Then slam down again to one side.

I went back under the car and switched the plugs on the locking solenoids. Just to see what would happen. Did the same thing but on the other side. So now it's got a serious leaning to one side issue and I took an uber home from my warehouse. Bummer.

I did try to level the car with the star but it didn't seem to take hold. I had it up and nice a few times but the car kept on wanting to bottom one strut or one side.

Last edited by HopefullyE63; 12-26-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CL600 Bi Turbo 2003 Renntech, BMW E39 530D SE
Hi

I had similar problem when i rebuilt my front valve block too. Turned out after the car didn't lift at all, i accidentally put the abc hoses that connect to the valve block the wrong way round! Not my finest moment i agree! I swapped the front block with the rear just to test it. Ended up getting a new block for the front as the pressure going the wrong way up the valve block broke it.Once new valve block fitted all was well again, hope that helps?
The following users liked this post:
HopefullyE63 (12-29-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Time to get a good used valve block in ebay
find a major dismantler with warranty not some guy selling parts off one car as his may be bad .
Old 12-28-2018, 09:55 PM

Thanks guys. It did take me some time to figure it out but I managed to figure out I had plugged in the solenoids incorrectly. After a full day and a half the car is riding great. For anyone reading this and considering a DIY make absolutely sure you spend time labeling what goes where. It will be time VERY well spent. The R&R is somewhat of a PITA but not that bad. Don't let anyone tell you it's "a couple hours" set aside the day and go suuuuper slowly. Then it may take a few hours. If you rush your screwed. Honestly I'd pay someone up to $700 labor to do this job.The right way with the rodeo and everything. Above that I'd do it again. I'm going to do the rear next since I can't find a tech down here who will do the rebuild. The last guy I went to insisted on new MB original struts. Said the blocks are usually not the cause. Oh well. Thanks guys. I love this forum, its like a security blanket . Nite nite.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:45 PM

UPDATE: Minutes ago while parked and running about to get into gear I got a loud sound just under the car and abc fluid just blew out from under the left (drivers) rear passenger area. I haven't gotten under the car but it sure seems like it's right around the rear block.

I'm guessing a hose gave out. Coincidence or is it related to my recent rebuild job?
Old 12-29-2018, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
There’s a guy in Ebay
vtrading916 who rebuilds calve block cheap
he will also install if you’re in the Sacramento ca Area
HopefullyE63 (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 07:57 PM

I'm in San Juan PR. So I'm kind of on my own. I have some Indies that are good but at the moment they are all booked up. I mentioned the last one wanted to replace all of the struts with MB not Arnott struts. The more I read the more I see the hoses just start to fail after time. The car has around 110K now 2003 so it's old. I'm worried that next time the car will be away from a home base and will need to be towed. That paranoia sucks. Is there any rhyme or reason or order to how the hoses go? I have replaced all the accumulators preemptively to avoid indue stress on the hoses. I guess it's just time.

Tusabes you think I toasted the block? I will check out the ebay guy for the rear block. Thanks for the tip. As I did the front block I could see the last time it was out someone had cross thread one of the hoses. I managed to get it back on all cleaned up but certainly not ideal. I may need to buy a new block and hose if the front block needs to come off again soon.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
I don’t know if your block is still good but yeah at this age it’s just time for the hoses to fail one by one due to age

ive had 5 cl500s and they have all needed hoses and different ones . I think there are 11 in total

since you are in PR the best thing you can do is find a industrial hydraulic repair shop, some place that services machines like forklifts and caterpillar tractors as they all use similar hydraulic systems . They can repair ruptured hoses much cheaper
HopefullyE63 (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 12:21 PM

Thank you Tusabes. I'm fortunate to have a really good one nearby and one we do business with regularly.