CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Crankshaft Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CL500
Crankshaft Sensor

How to remove crankshaft position sensor on my 2002 cl500?
Old 02-17-2019, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
On US spec c215 the sensor is located on the aft of the engine, where the bellhousing from transmission meets the engine, driver side.

It reads a magnetic field from the rotation of the teeth of the flywheel on the back of the engine, I believe.

Common theory is that the close proximity to the exhaust (primary cats especially) is the cause of the frequent CPS failures on the m112/113 engines we have

you’ll need a female torx bit, and a ratchet. You can’t really see the sensor very well, so you’ll have to go by feel. It’s really the only sensor in this area of the engine so there’s no need to worry about accidentally unplugging something else

theres been a lot of threads covered on this issue. You’ll get quicker answers and better how-to guides by doing a search. I usually type in my symptoms/issue and add mbworld or benzworld to my google search and it will bring up good results

edit: I got sidetracked but the reason I mentioned exhaust is if you have failing/clogged catalytic converters they can generate excess heat and cause premature CPS failure..sometimes you can diagnose a bad/failing cat with obd2 codes or tapping on the exhaust with a rubber mallet, rattling noises in the exhaust pipes is almost always from failing cats
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (02-18-2019)