Contemplating buying a CL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 02:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cl500
Question Contemplating buying a CL500

Greetings friends-

I am contemplating buying a 2004 or newer CL500 as I have always wanted one forever. I have some basic understanding of what I am getting into. The goal is to find one with a clean title with under 60k on the clock.

I understand the ABC is a potential issue and having read a bit I would plan on replacing the setup with either the Ceika or yellow coilovers when the time comes.

Beyond the suspension what do I need to take into consideration or look for?

Lastly, does anyone make a carbon fiber trim upgrade for the interior?

Any insight is appreciated and thanks in advance!

matt
Old 02-21-2019, 09:41 AM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Mercedes S550 Coupe (now) CL55 (until last March 3), Ferrari 612, Porsche Macan GTS
In the past I have seen carbon fiber trim upgrades on EBay and if I recall correctly it was about $5000. However, an alternative is to have your interior wrappped in carbon fiber. I did that including the wood grain steering wheel. I was very happy with it and you really could not tell the difference from the real thing except for the seam on the back side of the steering wheel (which no one could see unless you looked closely through the windshield). Also, most CLs dont have a wood wheel so this is not likely to be an issue in any event.

The best thing is that the cost was about a 1/10th of the cost of real carbon fiber. Also depending on the color of your interior you can get carbon fiber wraps in different colors (for example black with yellow or red threads in them). The look is very, very cool.

​​​​​​​Here is mine with plain old black carbon fiber wrap.

Carbon fiber wrap on interior wood
The following 2 users liked this post by RonCL55:
smartadze (02-21-2019), V12Kid (02-21-2019)