Broken injector tip, 2002 cl55 engine with about 110k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Broken injector tip, 2002 cl55 engine with about 110k

went to replace my injector o-rings and when I pulled the fuel rail I noticed a small (1.5-2mm) piece of the cylinder 8 injector had broken off inside my cylinder

and as suspected, o-rings were brittle and cracking

just a heads up to those with this engine. I can’t find anything online about m113 Benz engines having injector problems..

engine runs strong otherwise, I would’ve never known had I not pulled the fuel rail...

being cylinder 8, tells me maybe high exhaust temps caused this issue...

tomorrow morning I’m getting out the compression tester and buying an endoscope to inspect the cylinder. I’ll report back
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (02-23-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Figured I’d update this thread

the part that chipped away, turns out is just a plastic o-ring retainer! It was so brittle from age and heat that I barely recognized it. It actually wasn’t until someone from w220 forums on Facebook mentioned it was a disposable part, that I realized the part was removable

There is practically no info on these parts online, and the mercedes dealer will have no idea what you’re talking about if you try to buy parts there. This isn’t even in EPC for some stupid reason. Even Bosch injector rebuild kits don’t include this part.. very strange. I firmly believe these o-ring retainers need changed everytime the fuel rail is pulled, otherwise they get brittle with age and fall apart into the cylinder heads!! Not good at all for the engine to have debris in the cylinders. I also firmly believe that with more mileage, these seals are much more likely to break off inside the cylinder head during fuel rail removal..

what you’re looking for is called “Bosch type 3 injector seal”, some people call them pintel caps, some call them seals, some call them o-ring retainers

the same fellow from the w220 group mentioned that this plastic piece probably isn’t that big of a deal, and while I don’t disagree. I’m really fond of this engine that I dropped in my car. I don’t want to risk bending ANY valves, scoring any cylinders etc so I’ve decided to pull the intake manifold

just my luck, the only two cylinders with intake valves open at this specific time are the ones the broken injector seal piece fell into. Time for plan B (and not the $50 Plan B from CVS)

so ive been fashioning small tubes to the end of vacuum cleaners, removing spark plugs, and blowing in compressed air through the spark plug holes /intake valves to try to stir up the broken injector seal to be sucked into the vacuum

last ditch effort, when everything is re assembled I’ll probably turn the engine over with no fuel injector/spark plugs plugged in and try to “encourage” any debris that fell in the cylinder to fly out the exhaust valves, I’m sure between these methods I’ll have somewhere around 75% success. The idea is to shoot whatever debris possible out the exhaust valves before the injectors and plugs have a chance to burn it/atomize it

see photos for close up pictures of the injector, and the injector “seal”. One photo has a perfectly round seal, the other has a chip removed. This chip is what fell in the 8th cylinder

what started as an o-ring injector job has slowly turned into a full fledged intake manifold removal/injector overhaul. It was a good chance to clean up the inside of my manifold anyways, the thing was filthy inside

Last edited by ctravis595; 02-25-2019 at 05:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i finally finished this "repair". i replaced all injector o-rings and the oring retainer clips/seals. while in there i also cleaned the injectors as well as i could from the outside. this requires removing the fuel rail and removing each individual injector. not hard but it takes some time

i did my best to vaccum out/blow out the intake valve area, but just my luck, the only cylinders that had open intake valves at this time were the ones were the injector seal broke off into lol

so i spent a few days blowing compressed air into the injector port, the spark plug ports, while simultaneously attaching small hoses to the vacuum cleaner to try to remove any debris

im pleased with my results. i did a quick and dirty compression test on my engine the other day, the highest cylinder was 181, the lowest was 169. and that variance falls under 10% which is frankly impressive to me for a 17 year old engine that i constantly put through hell

im positive if i spent more time on my compression test i could get more linear results. i barely threaded in the tester all the way, i only cranked the car over twice, and i failed to hold WOT like people say you should with compression testing these cars. and this was with a cheap auto parts store tester

now to just track down these pesky p0131 and p0151 codes... the injector o rings were brittle and in bad shape, but replacing the o rings did not solve my low voltage o2 sensor codes. besides, after 100k miles i consider injector o-rings to be routine maintenance anyways