CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

My car barks!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 11:28 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
SL55 CL600 and 335D (rip flood) 325ci
My car barks!

Hi all. I am rather well acquainted with the abc system. Have put hands on much of it and have spent a few bucks with techs as well. I spent a few hours looking around and didn't find my issue on the forum so;

2003 CL600. Front struts are 1.5 year old Arnott units. Rear struts, drivers is "cheap" reman from no name supplier the other passenger is from a take out CL55. I rebuilt both blocks within the last two years. Car stays level. BEAUTIFUL right?

Problem: Car barks at me when a traverse a "dip" and the rear suspension loads are higher than normal and abrupt. I get a "bark, chirp, or grunt" from the rear. It sounds like its around the "new" drivers side strut. I think both rear corners will activate the noise. The car does feel a little "soft" in the rear. My mechanical brain says it's a plunger "blow by" noise. I really don't want to think I threw away money on that strut. The old one from the CL55 on the passenger side is the last one to replace but it seems to be holding up. But again the car feels uniformly softer on the rear suspension.

I have to say the Arnott units have been amazing. I found a supplier that will deliver a strut for nearly half the Arnott price but am now regretting it. FYI .. Go Arnott.

For more color: the car has all new *****... Evey dampener possible has been R&R with lemforder or OEM parts. Hydraulic lines all "new" reman by local shop. Practically all the bushings in the rear are new.... Is this a cry for help? Why do we do this to ourselves?