Lower ABC Oil Reservoir Leaking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2002 CL500
Lower ABC Oil Reservoir Leaking?

Hi all,

So I recently bought a low-milage CL500 that had been sitting in a relative's garage unused and underappreciated for two+ years. Put in a new battery, took it to a local mechanic to change out basic fluids (oil, transmission fluid) and drove it 100 miles to my place. My goal was to get it in fighting shape within a month or so by putting on new mirrors (granny wasn't so good at parking the thing), new air and fuel filters, and flushing the ABC fluid. The mechanic had mentioned that the valve cover gasket was weeping oil and that that'd have to get changed eventually. Fast forward to today, and I'm looking around for any oil leaks and I find nasty old dirty traces of ABC fluid seeping from the bottom section of the ABC fluid reservoir (part number is 220-320-03-14 I think). The top dipstick is close to being in normal range. I haven't bothered to top it off since I'm planning to do a flush anyhow (fluid smells awful, btw). The bottom tiny dipstick is almost empty, and the fluid in that lower reservoir is nice, green and clean (what's left of it).

Long story short:

- What the hell is that bottom reservoir and what is it's role in the ABC system?
- Should I fill up the bottom reservoir separately to get to the notch in the dipstick?
- Do the photos below suggest that the reservoir itself is leaking?
- Is a reservoir swap something realistic for a lowly diy guy like myself to attempt?
- Am I blowing this out of proportion because I'm terrified that the ABC system will pop on me?

Any other feedback would be appreciated! Y'all have been awesome to me since I got here like a month ago.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2002 CLK 430, 2005 CL600, 2009 Smart Fortwo
The lower one is your power steering fluid.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2002 CL500
Hi Kevin,

Yeah, that seems to be the case (although why every parts store has listing for a non-ABC power steering reservoir -- see screenshot -- for this CL500 is bizarre right?). Could the leak be coming from the reservoir, and if so are there good diy guides for how to swap reservoirs? I've already found a few decent ones on ebay for like $60. One local mechanic I called suggested using some kind of sealant fluid, but I just don't think that the 19 year old tandem pump would like that. Thanks again for the advice and feedback!

Old 02-22-2021, 09:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2002 CLK 430, 2005 CL600, 2009 Smart Fortwo
I wouldn't use a sealant. A good replacement would be better. I would top it off and clean everything really well so you can see where the leak is coming from. Also the steering and ABC use the same fluid so don't put the regular stuff in.