CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2004 | 08:48 PM

05 g35 & 04 cl 500
opinion

I am thinking of purchasing a 04 cl 500. I would like feedback from owners here on whether the car is worth or not?

I have a 04 clk 500 i am trading in and am only getting rid of it because it has had a ton of problems. Being that the engine is the same in both cars and the only really noticable diffrence with exception of the exterior is the interior which is a hell of alot nicer and its own platform, is it worth the 30k i'll have to shell out?
Old 09-13-2004 | 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

2003 CL55 AMG
The CLK and CL are two very different animals. Test drive a CL and decide for yourself. The AMB suspension on the CL is wonderful. The interior appointments are much nicer in the CL.

Only you will know if it is worth the 30k difference. Take a long test drive. Let us know your thoughts.
Old 09-14-2004 | 02:44 PM

CL 600 Bi-Turbo
My wife & I own both a 04 clk320 cab(wife's car) & a 03 CL600 (my car).
I would definately say the CL is a far superior car than the CLK.
Even though it may be coming to the end of it's lifecycle, I would take it ahead of the CLK anyday.
Drives better, far more luxurious and much more space, luggage & rear.
If you have the $$$ to spend go for the CL, you will not regret it
Old 09-14-2004 | 06:34 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
C Class or S Class

Which sedan would you rather own- a C Class or an S Class. The answer to this question will be your clue to the answer of whether to have a CLK or a CL. The CLK is based on the C chasis and the CL is based on the S chasis. If you are looking for a young and sporty ride, the CLK is your coupe. If you want luxurious, then the CL is your preference.

For me, the active body control on the CL is the biggest reason to own the car. Second reason is my feeling that the CL is the most beautiful modern Benz out there. I have owned both cars and the CLK is nice, it is just not the same ride as the CL.
Old 09-14-2004 | 07:16 PM

05 g35 & 04 cl 500
I appreciate the input, and thank all of you who have chimed in. I don't think I asked the question right the cl is hands down the nicest mercedes being produced and in my opinion a top 5 when it comes to a must have vehicle.

What im asking is why would you recommend purchasing a cl over any other mercedes or high end car for that matter? Basically since you are owners of cls and other mercedes give me the selling points of the car.
Old 09-15-2004 | 03:19 AM

CL 600 Bi-Turbo
I traded in a 02 745i for my CL 600, why ?
I felt the CL was a nicer looking car, it felt more luxurious,the driving experience was very good, & the command system was far better (I-drive was easy IMO) but Merc system is better.
Build quality of my vehicle is excellent, no complaints there.
Just go with what you like best, if you like the CL testdrive experience go for it. If you don't get into a vehicle that you prefer.
Old 09-15-2004 | 12:26 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
I love the CL

I am an unabashed fan of the CL, have owned the CL500 and now the CL600. I think the car is unique in its combination of beauty, performance and comfort. Sure you can get two out of three of these from other vehicles. The size and weight of the car is what gives it is plush ride and active body control is the key to its ability to deal with this mass. If you refer back to the C&D comparison with the new Ferrari, Bentley and Aston, you will see that the CL is the only car to truly offer luxury and comfort features like a real back seat, cooled seats, massage seats, satellite radio and so on.
Old 09-15-2004 | 02:56 PM

2008 S550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by shoes
I am an unabashed fan of the CL, have owned the CL500 and now the CL600. I think the car is unique in its combination of beauty, performance and comfort. Sure you can get two out of three of these from other vehicles. The size and weight of the car is what gives it is plush ride and active body control is the key to its ability to deal with this mass. If you refer back to the C&D comparison with the new Ferrari, Bentley and Aston, you will see that the CL is the only car to truly offer luxury and comfort features like a real back seat, cooled seats, massage seats, satellite radio and so on.
I must agree. The CL is by far the best car for the money, regardless of whether it's a lowly 500 like mine or a fabulous 600. If I can afford it, my next will be a CL600. IMHO CLK's are great cars if you're 20-something. If you have the money, get a CL!
Old 09-15-2004 | 03:03 PM

05 g35 & 04 cl 500
I am 20 something 25 to be exact. So would you say its an older persons car or at 25 is it still a cool car. Not that i would really care but its kind of like cadilac escalades are cool so are the xlr but seviles or cts aren't really cool unless you of senior citizen status and even then their not really cool.
Old 09-15-2004 | 04:51 PM

2008 S550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by leggs
I am 20 something 25 to be exact. So would you say its an older persons car or at 25 is it still a cool car. Not that i would really care but its kind of like cadilac escalades are cool so are the xlr but seviles or cts aren't really cool unless you of senior citizen status and even then their not really cool.
If you've got the bucks, flaunt it.
I had to wait until I was 31 to be able to afford my 500SEC (80's version of the CL). Over the years we tend to get wider, and I now fit better in a CL than in a CLK...