CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

2002 cl500 electrical issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 07:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2003 CLK500, 2008 e350
2002 cl500 electrical issue

Just bought this CL500. Having problems with my center brake light going on when car is shut dow, key out of ignition. Interestingly, I can open the trunk and the center brake light goes off and stays off. I close the trunk and the light comes back on. I’ve unplugged both connectors on the brake lifer switch and the middle brake light stays on with the trunk lid closed. Also, when closing the drivers side door, I noticed that the windows don’t automatically close tight. Passenger side door works fine.

I’ve read a lot about these types of problems with the W215 model. Does anyone have any ideas?
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 06:59 PM

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
Time for a 500 mile update on my S580 AMG with 4.5 degree rear steering. The car is the most comfortable that I have ever driven, exceeding the previous model. My BMW and Porsche friends find the back seat comfort to be unmatched. They have also commented on how good the stereo system is, something I did not expect as I have the standard speakers. Maybe it was the Spotify high def music going through the wireless Apple CarPlay, in any case, my backseat riders think it is a great system and they also like the pillows. The rear wheel steering is subtle, but noticeable when needing to make a sharp turn. As far as quality, I have had no issues. I did have to reset the outside mirrors to fold when locked, but that was after the valet car parker at a restaurant was playing around with the large touch screen. It took me a while to figure out all of the settings and to set up the Mercedes Me Connect app, which are all working fine. I have had no problem with the pop out door handles, they pop out when I am about 15 feet from the car. When I pull up to pick someone up, they pop out as soon as I put the car in park or hit the unlock button (I don’t like where they put the lock/unlock buttons). Bottom line, the car has excellent acceleration, is very comfortable and quite to drive (I do not have run flats on the 21” wheels) and I am getting used to all of the tech. I had to add windshield washer fluid today, the fill cap is on the driver side near the firewall, nowhere near where it was on the previous model. I am very happy with the car, although the 5 moths the car sat at Brunswick still leaves me very disappointed with Mercedes and their lack of communication on the release date…I am sure they could care less.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:20 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
Originally Posted by TwinCam
Time for a 500 mile update on my S580 AMG with 4.5 degree rear steering. The car is the most comfortable that I have ever driven, exceeding the previous model. My BMW and Porsche friends find the back seat comfort to be unmatched. They have also commented on how good the stereo system is, something I did not expect as I have the standard speakers. Maybe it was the Spotify high def music going through the wireless Apple CarPlay, in any case, my backseat riders think it is a great system and they also like the pillows. The rear wheel steering is subtle, but noticeable when needing to make a sharp turn. As far as quality, I have had no issues. I did have to reset the outside mirrors to fold when locked, but that was after the valet car parker at a restaurant was playing around with the large touch screen. It took me a while to figure out all of the settings and to set up the Mercedes Me Connect app, which are all working fine. I have had no problem with the pop out door handles, they pop out when I am about 15 feet from the car. When I pull up to pick someone up, they pop out as soon as I put the car in park or hit the unlock button (I don’t like where they put the lock/unlock buttons). Bottom line, the car has excellent acceleration, is very comfortable and quite to drive (I do not have run flats on the 21” wheels) and I am getting used to all of the tech. I had to add windshield washer fluid today, the fill cap is on the driver side near the firewall, nowhere near where it was on the previous model. I am very happy with the car, although the 5 moths the car sat at Brunswick still leaves me very disappointed with Mercedes and their lack of communication on the release date…I am sure they could care less.
Yes, I am not surprised that your CAN. Dollar 189.000 car is the most comfortable car you have ever driven - but my 2001 CL500 at about 3.5% value of yours, drives very comfortable also....
Old 09-22-2021, 01:10 PM

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
Sorry about this post, it was supposed to be under the 2021 S Class. How it got here, I have no idea. I was not on the CL forum.
ChrisVannoy (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 01:43 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 Cl500
Reset your window by holding down both the driver front and driver rear switch all the way down for at least 15 Mississippi’s then push them both back up at the same time holding the switch in the up position for 7 Mississippi’s. The wiring harness is known to go bad due to the unique door hinge….you’ll have to remove the black door accordion to access the wires …..I would check the wire loom at the truck too there known to stretch and pop wires due to the actuation of the trunk lid…happy motoring amigo
biker349 (09-30-2021)