CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

BAS ESP Notification - solved

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 03:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 CL500 W215
BAS ESP Notification - solved

I have had the BAS & ESP notifications display since I bought my 2002 CL500 6 months ago. I pressed the Reset button and it would clear the notifications. But they reappeared as soon as I turned the car back on. It did not seem to cause any performance problems so it had not been an urgent need to resolve. However, it was annoying. I triedd several things: a) turn steering wheel left and right to reset; b) changed the brake light switch. c) ensured that all fuses where working. A mechanic diagnosed the problem as being the ABS Module. My scanner had indicated there was a problem "A7/7b1 BAS diaphragm travel sensor - cable has open circuit or short circuit.". Before I went further with the ABS module, I replaced the sensor in the brake booster and the notifications went away. The sensor cost me $35 on eBay. Passing this along for some one else if it may help. NOTE: I did notice that the old sensor did not have a rubber gasket while my replacement one did have it. I kept the old sensor just in case it is good and what may have cause the problem to begin with is the missing rubber gasket. Anyway... I am happy now.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 01:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2003 CLK500, 2008 e350
Originally Posted by DennisTirado
I have had the BAS & ESP notifications display since I bought my 2002 CL500 6 months ago. I pressed the Reset button and it would clear the notifications. But they reappeared as soon as I turned the car back on. It did not seem to cause any performance problems so it had not been an urgent need to resolve. However, it was annoying. I triedd several things: a) turn steering wheel left and right to reset; b) changed the brake light switch. c) ensured that all fuses where working. A mechanic diagnosed the problem as being the ABS Module. My scanner had indicated there was a problem "A7/7b1 BAS diaphragm travel sensor - cable has open circuit or short circuit.". Before I went further with the ABS module, I replaced the sensor in the brake booster and the notifications went away. The sensor cost me $35 on eBay. Passing this along for some one else if it may help. NOTE: I did notice that the old sensor did not have a rubber gasket while my replacement one did have it. I kept the old sensor just in case it is good and what may have cause the problem to begin with is the missing rubber gasket. Anyway... I am happy now.
Good info. Thanx