CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

How to remove external a-pillar trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2022 | 12:09 PM

CL500 W215
How to remove external a-pillar trim

Hey all. I was wondering if someone could advise on how you remove the external a-pillar trim? I followed the WIS document to lift up the rubber, undo the screw, slide back but then the part where you're meant to "lift" it up it sounds and feels like I am going to break every clip or badly break part of it.

I can't seem to find any how-to's or YouTube videos for it. Does anyone have any pointers?
Old 01-21-2022 | 11:08 AM

cl500
CL500 A pillar removal

I just did this a few weeks ago. It's kind of scary, but there are 5 plastic clips that press down on pins welded to the car. Once I got the screw removed, I used a plastic pry tool, and alternatively a screwdriver, to lever between the body and the plastic clip, prying them away from the body but still attached to the a-pillar. Be careful not to pry on the windshield. Once all clips are released, the A-pillar slides down toward the front of the car to release the last two pins at the roof.

Old 01-21-2022 | 12:07 PM

CL500 W215
AH, I see! I can see the white clips, but figured they were attached to the trim and had to slide off or something.But it looks like the trim just pops away from them.

Did you remove all the rubber trim prior to tackling this? I'm actually only doing it so that I can refit the trim as I noticed it was pulled away and not fitted correctly in it's runners - it was bugging me!

Thanks a lot
Old 01-21-2022 | 01:00 PM

cl500
THe white clips stay attached to the trip,and pop away from the roof pillar. There are two grey plastic trim pieced that slid inside gooves in the trim piece, but still pop off from the metal studs on the A-pillar. I tried removing one of the plastic clips from the trim, and it is really on there! No way to get the piece off that way.

I pulled the rubber back about 1/2 way, and was able to see all of the clips by lifting the rubber. Like you, I will need to re-seat the rubber when I re-install ( Fixing the cracked fenders!).