CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Trunk problem!!!! May seriously be screwed…..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL55 AMG
Trunk problem!!!! May seriously be screwed…..

So…. Been having problems with my trunk recently. Doesn’t like to open the way it’s supposed to with my key or button on the driver door panel. Okay, so be it. If there’s problems, I just remove a couple screws and there’s a hole in my trunk to pull the manual latch from the inside since my key doesn’t work (and yes I’ve tried every which way and angle on the key, it doesnt work) until I fix it. So to my surprise the latch you can usually pull is no longer attached (see picture) and to my understanding that is also used to open with the key, even if I were to get a locksmith.

How screwed am I? I’m really not looking to cut into the top of my trunk lid and have to buy a new one. I’ll sit there for hours and try to fish at the latch if it means I’ll get it open that way, even if I never open it again after that. I’m thinking of buying a borescope so I can get in there and at least see what I’m clawing at

Please if someone is out there if they could answer that would be great. I don’t know what to do and I’m at a loss for ideas. Anything helps.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
CL600 215 M137
I think it is a big challenge. As I understand correctly you want to open the trunk.
The "rod" visible in the photo connects the lock with the bolt.
I think this mechanism has not changed much and is the same for all 215 - my CL is from 2002.
You'll need to press the little plastic lever next to the clapper lock.

The lever is somewhere in this place.

small video

Last edited by M137; 04-06-2022 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by M137
I think it is a big challenge. As I understand correctly you want to open the trunk.
The "rod" visible in the photo connects the lock with the bolt.
I think this mechanism has not changed much and is the same for all 215 - my CL is from 2002.
You'll need to press the little plastic lever next to the clapper lock.

The lever is somewhere in this place.

small video
https://youtube.com/shorts/snPCIJy66AY?feature=share
Thanks for the reply. I got my trunk open with an endoscope. Everything mechanically on the trunk latch assembly is working fine… when the trunk is open. The weird part is that when the trunk is closed or not closed but close to the closed position (downward facing) the mechanism doesn’t want to engage. I have no idea why. Sounds like something else is engaging and not the part that needs to. Need to investigate a little more.