Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500
Fuse box 2 no power to fuses 31, 32. 40 amp

Good evening ,

Vehicle: 2001 MB CL500 W215

Here is my issue. I have no power to the ABC pump solenoid. Tracing it back I also have no power to fuses #31 -Air pump(40 amp) and #32 air compressor (40 amp) in passenger side fuse box (fuse box #2)
I Have diagnosed with a test light that there is no power coming into the fuse box via the thick clip in "red power wire" ( located across from fuse 33 at the front of box 2)
Note: all the other fuses have power. All relays have power and work.

My question is where does that red power wire trace back to?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:54 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
CL500, W211 e320 mega-spec
This and your other question strike me as both being related to major power issues.

The battery is in the boot on these cars. Is the battery there and what sort of state is it in? Have you got an actual battery tester to check the battery with? Sometimes just knowing the voltage isn't enough although low 12v and below 12v is a strong signal that the battery isn't in great shape.

From the battery the positive cable would most likely go to the starter motor. I've not had to trace the cable on one of these cars before but I imagine this is done from under the car. So you'll have to jack it up, take off the covers from underneath and follow the positive battery cable to the starter motor. From there it would most likely loop to the alternator and then from the alternator there will be a wire going off to a major terminal and junction box which powers the fuse boxes and other circuits in the car.

You just have to keep testing, starting at the battery and working forward until you find the problem.

One thing which springs to mind as a potential issue is that these cars might have a safety isolator. If the isolator has been tripped for some reason, like massive forces similar to what would be experienced in an accident it might have fallen on and your whole car is isolated somewhere near the battery.

A lot of this is guesswork but as you've already found there is no power at the fuse box it's pretty obvious you have to start working backwards toward the battery until you find the problem.