CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Is Growl from engine normal ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 11:42 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
cl500
Is Growl from engine normal ??

I have a 2004 Cl500, 112K miles. Been going through getting things repaired as needed. I have noticed a growl under acceleration. It is engine speed related, and sounds like a nice throaty growl from a V8 or modified exhaust ( like on my XK8 with no rear mufflers). However, I think this car should be quieter being stock. It is not an obnoxious sound, and is only apparent under acceleration. By the time I hit third gear and am at speed, then the noise diminishes.

I had the rear portion of the exhaust off once to replace an ABC line, and replaced it with new seals. No apparent leak at the seal point.

I have heard of issues with the Transmission Pump bearing, and wondered if this might be a sign that the pump is failing? Also considered motor mounts, but no signs of failing, and no vibration at idle.

Any thoughts. Should I just enjoy the throaty sound? I'm not one to just go throwing parts at an issue without some idea of what might be the problem.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
cl500
On a whim, I checked Engine mounts. They appeared OK under stress. Decided to change the Transmission mount, since it is inexpensive. Easy repair- 30 minutes. Noise dramatically reduced, so don't be afraid to change this part if you are hearing engine noises in the cabin. Old mount was visibly lower than the new one, and moved easily once removed, while new mount was pretty stiff, and about 1/2" higher (old mount had sagged about 1/2").