CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

CL500 no crank no start, with accompanying electrical system probs.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CL500
CL500 no crank no start, with accompanying electrical system probs.

Hi, I'm a new member. This is our first MB, had it two weeks, 130k miles. We've had/ are having, 2 separate problems that I can only think must be related. But I can't figure it out.

After 2 weeks of no problems, turned ignition to position 2, where cluster showed 2 malfunctions, brakes and ESP
At the same time, steering wheel raised up to easy exit position
The windows wouldn't operate with the doors closed but did work when doors were opened.
The signals and interior lights not working.
At position 4 the car started like it had been - engine turned over and ran. We drove.

Checked battery, voltage low and didn't hold charge. We replaced it with the recommended ACDelco AGM 49 and fully charged it before installing.

Now at ignition position 1 and 2, no malfunctions light up. Windows. signals and steering wheel adjustment work properly again.
Key moves to ignition position 4 and springs back correctly, but nothing happens in position 4. No clicking, no start.

Any help, we'd be very very grateful. Thanks, Dave and Jane

2002 CL500. First MB. Sept. 2022

Last edited by ghazomedia@gmai; 10-01-2022 at 01:33 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-09-2022, 07:57 PM

CL500
Thanks so much for the two members who messaged me and helped me through the steps for resolving this.

I intend to learn everything about this car, no matter the difficulties and pain. Something a person can't do alone.

Best, Dave
Old 10-18-2022, 11:53 AM

CL500
For folks having the same difficulties, you'll find what I encountered and the solution below.

(1) We had a no crank no start problem. The battery was holding a low charge, so we replaced the battery, but that didn't fix the problem.
(2) Pulled out the starter relay, tested it by connecting it to a 12 volt battery, and found that it was bad. We ordered a new relay.
(3) Before the new relay arrived, we jumped the relay posts 30 to 87. This bumped the starter, which I thought was good sign, but after that there was no power at all on dash with the key.
(4) Found that by jumping the relay, this blew the battery junction box 60 amp fuse, which is hidden under the front passenger rug, in the footwell.
(5) Replaced the 60 amp fuse. Then we had power restored, but the no crank no start remained.
(6) Received new relay, tested it on 12v battery and the magnet got bumped. So it was good. We did not replace it yet.
(7) Lifted the car with hydraulic jack to do voltage/continuity checks on the starter/selonoid.
(8) Realized that the Jack Stands I had wouldn't work, IMO, in a safe way.
(9) Ordered the knock-off of the Rennstand jack stands off Ebay, which I learned that many recommended for the CL500. They're red and about $90 each shipped.
(10) Got under the car and found electrical problem at the starter.
(11) Bought a replacement starter on Amazon for $75.
(12) Car then started and worked properly. Problem solved. It took 3 weeks, with waiting on deliveries and carving out time, and because I'm newly learning this car.

Thx again for the members who helped, grateful Dave