CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Strange ESP/BAS Light Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2023 | 07:52 PM

GL320
Strange ESP/BAS Light Issue RESOLVED

The car is a 2002 CL55 with ABC delete. The issue is that the ESP light will illuminate and BAS warning will show after starting the car. The kicker is, it only does this if the drivers door is closed while starting. If I leave the door open while starting, the lights never come on. I have DAS and the code is C1504-009, which states that the steering angle sensor has lost calibration possibly due to play in the steering wheel. I can confirm there is zero play in the steering wheel. All other modules do not have faults logged and everything else is operational.

What I've done to try to fix:
  • Replaced the battery and ground strap.
  • Replaced the brake light switch with geniune Merc, no difference.
  • Replaced drivers door jamb switch with genuine Merc, no difference.
  • Performed countless calibrations for it only to return at the next start up.
  • Replaced the steering angle sensor, no difference.
  • Performed an alignment.
  • Measured voltage at every module and all within spec, even when cranking.
  • Fixed some minor corrosion on the passenger rear fuse panel. Nothing major and the rear SAM was not harmed.

What I do not understand is the relationship to the door being open that makes the light go away?

Last edited by dhurley; 03-02-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2023 | 03:14 PM

GL320
Resolution:

The car already had the ABC delete when I bought it. Some C215's require you to pull fuse 9 to eliminate the red ESP warning, while some require you to also pull fuse 46. I'm also finding that some require you to only pull fuse 46.

When I bought the car 2 months ago, only fuse 46 was pulled. I put a fuse in that slot and drove around a few days and even though I had the red ABC warning, the ESP/BAS lights never came on.

How it was resolved: I put fuses back in slots 9 and 46, then simply disconnected all three connectors from the ABC module. Only the white ABC light remains and NO MORE ESP/BAS WARNING!
Old 04-12-2023 | 09:33 AM

2002 CL600 2017 S550
Man i had the same lights on and i changed the wheel speed sensors on the rear and cleared the codes and she was good as new