Possibility of winning over E55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300E
Possibility of winning over E55?

Fellows,
I am wondering if CL600 will be able to dust the current model E55?
Old 11-29-2004, 02:45 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Dust? No.

Dust, no way. Off the line, the E55 should take the lead but once the turbos spool up, the CL600 should win in the long run.

Who buys a CL600 to race E55's? This is an old guy's car (like me) and we troll for unknowing Ferrari Maranello's.

Last edited by shoes; 11-29-2004 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 11-29-2004, 09:09 PM

300E
Thanks a lot shoes.
Good to know that my 600 can beat my neighbor's E55.
Btw, is your Audi A8 the new styling? Can you tell me more about it?
What do you like about it and what you hate about it?
Its great if you can compare it with S-class. I really want to know what to expect in long run. Something I can't get by just test driving. Example: maybe the seat isn't as comfortable as S-class after seating on it for few months... something like that. Thanks shoes.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:22 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Audi A8

My Audi A8 is a 2005 short wheelbase model. I did not intend to buy one, since I drove the long wheelbase model last year when it was introduced and found that I could not get comfortable in the seats. I should note that I also think the seats in all Mercedes based off the S Class chasis are uncomfortable- the worst being the S Class, second worse being the SL and lastly, the CL that I own is just barely OK.

So I stopped by my Audi store to check out the new A6 and they have a new SWB A8 right next to it. Once I peered inside, I fell instantly in lust with the new interior for 2005 called Amaretto- the seats and headliner are saddle brown and everything else is black. There is a ton of wood (which I like) very rich looking, even the steering wheel is all wood (which might be functionally challenging in the long run). It is a better looking interior than the Bentley Continental GT (and I say this having ordered a Bentley, built to my color specs, which were very close to this Audi, then being disappointed when I saw the car in the flesh and sold it).

Another thing about the SWB Audi is the new sport seats, which are designed like the BMW comfort seats- perhaps the best designed seats in any car. Very comfy. The only problem is that the steering wheel does not have a broad enough range of adjustment- so it doesn't telescope or lower sufficiently for my taste, but this is the only interior flaw. The user interface (MMI) is much better than BMW but not as good as Mercedes, although there is a tremendous range of adjustments (for example, the user can determine how many and which doors open automatically when using the keyless entry system, 1, 2, or 4). The sound system is outstanding, perhaps a match for the Lexus Mark Levinson system. All in all, this Audi is the most impressive yet to me and is a superior choice to the current Mercedes S Class.

Of course, Mercedes will raise the ante in September when they introduce a new body S Class at the Frankfurt auto show.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
sounds like a nice car, do you have any pictures?!
Old 11-30-2004, 02:16 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Audiusa has me covered

The website has some good shots of this interior.

http://audiusa.com/model_gallery/0,3...ystyle=a8sedan
Old 11-30-2004, 06:42 PM
Almost a Member!

CL600 2003
Originally Posted by S_kLaSse
Fellows,
I am wondering if CL600 will be able to dust the current model E55?
Regarding the CL600 vs E55, do what I did, get the RennTech upgrade for your CL600 but leave the sticker off so that you don't give away your advantage... really does make a difference. Once you start moving it is not even close. I had a chance today to show off the CL600 against an SL55 AMG 2004 or 2005. I think I scared the guy with the way the 600 so easily past him. Funny how this car brings out the kid in all of us.

Last edited by jt20194; 11-30-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:26 AM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Renntech upgrade

Are there any tradeoffs that you have noticed since the Renntech mods? Are the shifts any rougher? Mileage significantly worse? Anything?
Old 12-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Almost a Member!

CL600 2003
None that I have notice. When driven normally, the car is just as smooth as it was before the RennTech changes. Gas mileage seems to be the same as well; again when driven normally. I get anywhere from 13 to 15 MPG in city driving and 17 to 19 highway. Once I start driving aggressively that’s when the car’s performance comes to life. Down shifting seems quicker yet the shifts are not rough. Under full acceleration I am not sure that I notice the faster shift response claimed by RennTech. It may be lost in the remarkable acceleration one is experiencing under full throttle. I have on more than one occasion been driving behind slow traffic doing anywhere from 40 to 50 MPH and when given the opportunity to pass lost traction in the back wheels as a result of the downshift and immense torque. RennTech has done a great job of unleashing the Turbo V12 potential and Mercedes has built the perfect car for those who want both the civility of a luxurious sports coupe that preys on unsuspecting victims like a wolf in sheep’s cloths.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:27 PM

NSX
Yeah... it dusts it sitting still... cruising down the street... parked in a parking lot...