CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Thinking about "jumping ship"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2007 | 05:52 PM

2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Thinking about "jumping ship"

Hello, everyone:

As many of you know, I had a deposit on the S 63 and recently changed it to the CL 63. I have driven nothing but Mercedes Benz since 1999 and I love the marque. However, ever since I returned the S 430 I had leased until July of last year, I haven't been moved by any other Benz, except for the ones I already own. I was disappointed when I drove the S 550 at the AMG graduate course last Oct., which prompted my change in order, and now after having driven the CL 550, I don't feel I'm in love with it either. I think both are beautiful cars, but I had to fiddle with the seat too much on the CL and I felt the steering was too light. Granted, the AMG will be much tighter, but nevertheless, I'm having second thoughts. That same day I visited an old friend at the BMW dealer (the one who sold me my first BMW 325is in 1993) and I drove the M5 and M6. I didn't like the M6 much because of the lack of a usable back seat and no 6-speed manual trans, but I loved the M5 6-speed manual. Now I'm torn. I don't want to cancel my order for the CL 63, nor do I want to "jump ship" and move the BMW for my daily driver. I'm also concerned about something I find embarassingly shallow, namely, perception. When one arrives in a Benz, one has arrived. I don't get the same sense in the BMW, despite its $96,000 price tag, because it is so understated. It looks like a muscular version of its less powerful brethren. No flames from either camp, but please provide some insight. To top it off, I'm even considering the Maserati Quattroporte Sport! Can you say confused?
Old 01-08-2007 | 06:42 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Stay German

I think if you have been driving German for 8 years, it will be tough to be happy with the Maserati.

Before you jump to the M5, check out this month's Car & Driver comparison test versus the Audi S6 and the Mercedes E 63. The biggest issue for me with BMW's is the I drive controller, which I find frustrating. In addition, I think BMW's ride quality is much harsher than Mercedes or AMG.

Mercedes makes luxury cars, so the E550, S550 and CL550 are each luxurious and comfortable and not performance oriented. AMG massages each of these cars into something even more luxurious while adding more personality and edge. I love my E63 because it out-handles, out-corners and out-stops the E550 while adding a higher level of quality materials to the interior finishes.

If you can live with the size of the CL63 (it is very large for a coupe), nothing else combines its prestige, performance and reliability.
Old 01-08-2007 | 07:08 PM

BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by neodoc
Hello, everyone:

As many of you know, I had a deposit on the S 63 and recently changed it to the CL 63. I have driven nothing but Mercedes Benz since 1999 and I love the marque. However, ever since I returned the S 430 I had leased until July of last year, I haven't been moved by any other Benz, except for the ones I already own. I was disappointed when I drove the S 550 at the AMG graduate course last Oct., which prompted my change in order, and now after having driven the CL 550, I don't feel I'm in love with it either. I think both are beautiful cars, but I had to fiddle with the seat too much on the CL and I felt the steering was too light. Granted, the AMG will be much tighter, but nevertheless, I'm having second thoughts. That same day I visited an old friend at the BMW dealer (the one who sold me my first BMW 325is in 1993) and I drove the M5 and M6. I didn't like the M6 much because of the lack of a usable back seat and no 6-speed manual trans, but I loved the M5 6-speed manual. Now I'm torn. I don't want to cancel my order for the CL 63, nor do I want to "jump ship" and move the BMW for my daily driver. I'm also concerned about something I find embarassingly shallow, namely, perception. When one arrives in a Benz, one has arrived. I don't get the same sense in the BMW, despite its $96,000 price tag, because it is so understated. It looks like a muscular version of its less powerful brethren. No flames from either camp, but please provide some insight. To top it off, I'm even considering the Maserati Quattroporte Sport! Can you say confused?
I can feel your pain. After being less than excited about my initial viewing and driving of the S550, I went on a search for what would end my 20 year streak of S-Class ownership. I'll add to your equation by throwing in the Aston Vantage ( nice,but too small for my daily driver ) and the S8 Audi ( also nice, but also very understated ). Like you, I finally settled on the CL63, although I am sticking with it, for some of the reasons you mentioned above. I am comfortable in Mercedes products as I enjoy a long term relationship with my dealer and the service manager. Let me join you in your "shallowness" and admit that I also enjoy the panache of driving a Mercedes. Even though others wont readily admit it, many of our compatriots suffer similar shallowness, according to numerous surveys. Not to confuse you any more, but if you haven't heard the sound of the "63", you may want to think twice before cancelling your order. It may be slightly deficient on the torque ratings, but it's at the top of the charts for engine sound. Good luck !
Old 01-08-2007 | 07:25 PM

2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
Not exactly sure what your disillusion is with the CL550 but I don't agree that the M5 is a step down. Not with 500hp. Put a set of HRE's on it and it can hold it's head up sitting next to any car...except an exotic of course.
Old 01-08-2007 | 09:40 PM

2013 MB SL550
I was between a CL550 & a Quattroporte. Yes I need a back seat for occasional use. I haven't driven the CL550 but I placed my order and am expecting the best. I drove the QP... a nice car but I didn't feel I was getting $120K worth of car. I still think the QP is a great looking car but if you look at the message boards in Maserati Life, owners have listed fairly major issues that are negatives about the car.

Watching owners documented complaints about their cars and the lack of Maserati in resolving their issues turned me off. Leather seats cracking and falling apart after 6 months of ownership, 8 weeks for service appointments, $2K for an oil change, etc.

My deciding factor though was when I asked my local Maserati dealership about how they handle service loaners... his response. A $1,000. credit towards a rental car during the first year of ownership only. After that, take the bus.

I am on my 3rd MB and though they are stretching the brand too far downmarket IMHO, they continue to excel in customer service and support.
Old 01-08-2007 | 10:09 PM
Almost a Member!

What year is this Quattroporte? Wait a sec... think I linked the wrong pic.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about "jumping ship"-buick-lucerne-2.jpg  
Old 01-09-2007 | 10:41 AM

BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by eleven11
What year is this Quattroporte? Wait a sec... think I linked the wrong pic.
This is actually funnier than you think. Robert Lutz, Vice Chairman of Product Development at GM initally nixed the classic portholes on the new Lucerne. He reasoned that Buick needed to update it's image and break with the past. After being shown the Maserati Quattraporte, featuring similiar designed portholes, he changed his mind and approved the "look".
Old 01-29-2007 | 10:58 AM

2008 Aspen, 1970 Corvette, 2000 Corvette and 2009 Legacy Limited
Hi all,
I too am not impressed with the Star these days... I have had Mercedes since 2000. I don't have the means to get into the S-Class and above but ML's for the wife and E-class for me. Currently leasing an E350. Usually bolting on a set of wheels keeps my interest but only having the car for 10 months and even with the new 19's... interest is not there.

I found a car that fully ignites my enthusiast fire, Maserati GranSport. JUST WOW! This car is amazing. Of course I am looking at 2004 preowned b/c new my wife would kill me... I know I know.. but I can't sleep with one eye open FOREVER

I think the Mas 4door is awesome. Really nice fit and finish and fast enough to grin while driving. The BMW is really nice too, again... too expensive for me but I would put the M5 and M6 right up there with any high end car. Another point... I see MB all over ... M6 and M5 are rare and a Maserati... well... only at my local dealership. It is your money... buy what you like. All cars mentioned are really nice examples. GOOD LUCK.

btw: cost of ownership... To replace a clutch in a Mas... roughly $2700. It is a Ferrari F1 Trans after all... OUCH

Last edited by Mr.Gearhead; 01-29-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-29-2007 | 11:08 AM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Nothing says "I've arrived" like a CL63. Go for it