CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Cognac/Black is NOT discontinued...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1953 Fiat Topolino
Cognac/Black is NOT discontinued...

We recently saw a post here by FloridaE55 suggesting Cognac/Black interior was discontinued on the CL63 and left many wondering if it was also dropped for the entire CL line. To my knowledge, AMG has never offered Cognac/Black on the CL63 since its recent MY2008 introduction...so it can't be discontinued if it never existed for that model. To be clear, Cognac/Black is still available for US market in Premium leather for the '08 CL550 and in Exclusive leather for the '08 CL600. I personally think that this interior color scheme is extremely stricking & elegant. I also happen to like the Armagnac leather interior found in the 2007 S Class Espresso Edition (Designo Mocha Black exterior & Armagnac/Black interior). This leather color was a shade lighter than Cognac, with a Caramel (e.g. more Orange) tinge. For MY2008 Espresso in the S Class, Armagnac was dropped and replaced by a more neutral 'Sand' leather color, which I don't find as attractive. For those with a Cognac/Black interior, has your experience with it been positive? Has the actual Cognac color matched your expectation vs the representation on the MB brochure? I am interested in feedback since I am considering a CL with a Cognac/Black interior. Z356
Old 11-17-2007, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CL600, 2014 S550
I had the Cognac/Black on my SL and never tired of it. I found the Black perfect on the dash to reduce glare and the Cognac didn't show every little spot. I do believe the colors in an S or CL may not be as good a color to help hold value as a straight black which is why I opted out on my two current cars. Any other questions IM me.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2020 S Cabriolet, 2014 SL63, 2002 SL500
As a stand alone colour, the cognac /black is a great and striking statement. I personally found it to be a bit too terra cotta colour for my liking when paired with a black exterior. I was really hoping it was going to be more brown, but alas. So, when I order my new CL this summer, it will have to be Black/black.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by Z356
Has the actual Cognac color matched your expectation vs the representation on the MB brochure? I am interested in feedback since I am considering a CL with a Cognac/Black interior. Z356
Z356,
When I was at my local dealership, I had the chance to see that color in person. IMO, it is MUCH darker and totally different than the color they show on the current CL-brochure. In real life, it is less brown and more 'reddish'.

I would suggest that you visit a local dealer and look for yourself. Take the brochure with you and you'll be surprised. I still believe it is a great color BUT you mustn't base your expectations on the brochure.

Last edited by FloridaE55; 11-18-2007 at 02:38 PM.