CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

CL550 First impressions (after one month and 3500 mi.)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
CL550 First impressions (after one month and 3500 mi.)

Hello all, stealth member becoming visible.
After end of lease on Lexus LS430, I decided to switch back to Mercedes family. Mind you before Lexus, I had 2002 MB S430 w/few problems. The last one being stuck on BQE (Brooklyn), middle line, rush hour, after small coffee spill over the gear shift, I promised myself no more MB. Then 3 years of Lexus (one issue but weird) which i can compare to boring, exitement-less time. Now, 3 1/2 months fo waiting and the beauty and the beast arrives. Big WOW on the color combo IMO, since I ordered it blind (MB booklet). Then the first drive... Seat belt. My seat belt is giving me a fight every time I want to grab it (almost like my wife). Mayor annoyance. Fixed after 5 days of waiting for a parts to arrive from Germany. Otherwise very smoooth. Great acceleration, ABC defying gravity, night view as a conversation piece, best seat ever (massage), Comand suprisingly user friendly, ambience. Nirvana.

Then, the next morning I hit 80/85 mph on I78. Tiny, faint ping noise (air leak ?) from my side rear window. Ouch. My service adivsor advises me not to go over the speed limit. Is he seroius ? Is he my Mom ? Apparently the technician riding in the back seat ackwnoledges the problem. They replace exterior side chrome molding. After 3 days, the dealer (Globe, NJ) gives me the car back, saying car is checked ,no more wind noise. Not true. It's not better, it's worse. Now I can hear it from 60mph and up. Dealer didn't called me back yet. I guess I'll try my own troubleshoot (tape side rear window and surroundings). Guys, when you see taped up CL550 on I78 early morning try not to laugh but shed few tears over my problem.

Mark
Old 02-01-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLS450, 2021 Porsche 911 Cab
Very weird my CL is silent inside like being in a coffin.. lol
Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by markopolo
After end of lease on Lexus LS430, I decided to switch back to Mercedes family. Mind you before Lexus, I had 2002 MB S430 w/few problems. The last one being stuck on BQE (Brooklyn), middle line, rush hour, after small coffee spill over the gear shift, I promised myself no more MB. Then 3 years of Lexus (one issue but weird) which i can compare to boring, exitement-less time. Now, 3 1/2 months fo waiting and the beauty and the beast arrives. Big WOW on the color combo IMO, since I ordered it blind (MB booklet). Then the first drive... Seat belt. My seat belt is giving me a fight every time I want to grab it (almost like my wife). Mayor annoyance. Fixed after 5 days of waiting for a parts to arrive from Germany. Otherwise very smoooth. Great acceleration, ABC defying gravity, night view as a conversation piece, best seat ever (massage), Comand suprisingly user friendly, ambience. Nirvana.

Then, the next morning I hit 80/85 mph on I78. Tiny, faint ping noise (air leak ?) from my side rear window. Ouch. My service adivsor advises me not to go over the speed limit. Is he seroius ? Is he my Mom ? Apparently the technician riding in the back seat ackwnoledges the problem. They replace exterior side chrome molding. After 3 days, the dealer (Globe, NJ) gives me the car back, saying car is checked ,no more wind noise. Not true. It's not better, it's worse. Now I can hear it from 60mph and up. Dealer didn't called me back yet. I guess I'll try my own troubleshoot (tape side rear window and surroundings). Guys, when you see taped up CL550 on I78 early morning try not to laugh but shed few tears over my problem.

Mark
Have them check the ABC.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markopolo

Mark
There is a TSB for the wind noise. I had the same problem on my 07 CL550.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Gentelmen, thank you for the replies. Actually after few trials and errors with the masking blue tape and process of elimination (feels like Sherlock Holmes almost), I solved the ping noise which drove me crazy. It was a metal, chrome housing for the rear seat belt. If I buckle the rear seat belt behind me, the noise stops. The dealer still didn't called back btw.
Sometimes you have to help yourself, I guess . It would take them probably another week or so, with questionable results.
Don't get me wrong, I'm far away from complaining, now I reeeeally enjoy the car. Every quiet minute of it. Like I stated before. Breathtaking and soothing experience.