CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

CL550 ABC light/problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl550
CL550 ABC light/problems

I have a 2007 CL550, and the ABC light is on and telling me not to drive the car. It appears one of the rear suspension/shocks has blown out. I am told this is the result of the large wheels, and that if I replace it will just happen again. I haven't taken it in for service, although I have been warned that unless I bring it in on stock wheels, that it won't be covered by warranty. I unfortunately don't have stocks for this car. I am just curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar, or has any advice. I'd like the believe the wheels couldn't be the cause of this, but what do I know. I have also been told that if I keep the wheels on, it will just happen again. Which again seems hard to believe If no one else has experienced this, as I see alot of members on here with 22's. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 229 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Steve9802
I have a 2007 CL550, and the ABC light is on and telling me not to drive the car. It appears one of the rear suspension/shocks has blown out. I am told this is the result of the large wheels, and that if I replace it will just happen again. I haven't taken it in for service, although I have been warned that unless I bring it in on stock wheels, that it won't be covered by warranty. I unfortunately don't have stocks for this car. I am just curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar, or has any advice. I'd like the believe the wheels couldn't be the cause of this, but what do I know. I have also been told that if I keep the wheels on, it will just happen again. Which again seems hard to believe If no one else has experienced this, as I see alot of members on here with 22's. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
What size are the wheels and tires? If they are properly sized, they shouldn't affect the suspension.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
I have a 2007 CL550, and the ABC light is on and telling me not to drive the car. It appears one of the rear suspension/shocks has blown out. I am told this is the result of the large wheels, and that if I replace it will just happen again.

That's B$^%^**** !!! These kind of suspension problems happen all the times on the older S-class and CL and it have nothing to do with bigger wheels. If the shocks is blown, you can see the fluid leaked all over the suspension.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:58 PM

cl550
Thanks for your replies. The tire size is 295/25/22, I don't know what to say. I can't see the wheels causing the suspension to go out, and don't know why they wouldn't cover it. But having bought the vehicle used, I don't get the benefit of the doubt at my local MB service dept., much less a MB loaner . Enterprise here I come......
Old 09-07-2008, 08:55 PM

CL500 and ML55
Originally Posted by Klinh
That's B$^%^**** !!! These kind of suspension problems happen all the times on the older S-class and CL and it have nothing to do with bigger wheels. If the shocks is blown, you can see the fluid leaked all over the suspension.
Agreed!
but - if you do not have the stock wheels on your car when you take it in for service....they will deny your claim.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:13 PM

CL500
Where do you live? if you are in LA I can help you.