CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Cl550 Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 10:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cl550 Question

So Question for you guys.

I just recently purchased a 2011 Cl550 with 20k miles on it.
As part of the certification they put new tires on it and did the rest of the cert process.

I had it for a couple days and realized the ride didn't feel right. So after a couple trips to the dealership they said they straitened the rims twice because they were bent and they replaced the two front tires because they they said their were flat spots in the tires and redid the alignment.

Had the car back for a couple days and the ride still doesn't feel right Feels like their still a slight vibration while driving and still pulling to the right. Dealer said they drove it around and feels fine to them. Any thoughts on how I should approach this?
Old 12-29-2014, 07:14 AM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Presently 19 S560 SEDAN, 2014 XK, SOLD GLE 450e
[QUOTE=Iversonbiatch;6276615]So Question for you guys.

I just recently purchased a 2011 Cl550 with 20k miles on it.
As part of the certification they put new tires on it and did the rest of the cert process.

I had it for a couple days and realized the ride didn't feel right. So after a couple trips to the dealership they said they straitened the rims twice because they were bent and they replaced the two front tires because they they said their were flat spots in the tires and redid the alignment......".................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...

Just some FYI: Your problem seems a copy cat of mine. I bought a 2011 CL550 about three weeks ago. After driving the car at hwy speeds, 70-80 I noticed a vibration and a 'noise' similar to being in a prop airplane like a DC-3.

I took it back the next day and voiced my problems. They told me a few days later, that three wheels were bent and needed straightening and the car needed an alignment after that was done. So they did the above and when I got the car back it was much better and I considered the problem solved. Til last night when I went for a ride of about 120 miles. I sense a vibration and it starts at approx 65 mph and I hear a 'droning' similar to being in that prop DC3. Not nearly as bad as before though.

This car has the 20" wheels which might be part of the problem. Low profile wheels suck imho in too many ways. Poor tire wear and noise is what low profile means to me.

My post is not of much help to you at all other than me mentioning a similar problem as yours, although mine does not pull to either side. Just the deep humming vibration that frankly I can't feel in the wheel. Actually it sounds similar to a driveshaft u-joint going bad....the rumbling/vibration noise.

I'm thinking of buying 18" rims and tires and having a go at it. Costly though.

Seperatly I have a Distronic turning itself off after just say 10 miles of night driving. In the daytime it rarely drops out. I'm taking it in to the dealer a week from this monday to have them have a shot at it.

Last edited by HAILERS2; 12-29-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:15 PM

So we do have very similar issues. I have the 20 inch wheels as well.

I decided to take it to another MB dealer asked the foreman to go for a ride with me and he didnt notice much while driving it although he doesnt see many CL's admittedly.

For the hell of it he threw it on a lift and we saw that the rims all looked off they were repaired multiple times and one looked like it was even welded.
It made me feel better because I thought I was just going nuts.

I got the car about 2 weeks ago and I took it back today to where i purchased it and asked them how it got through the certification process like it was. The guy told me that none of that stuff is checked during certification and he would see what he could do.

I'll keep you posted tomorrow regarding what I find out, but I may ask to invoke that 7 day/500 mile policy that MB has in place for certified cars.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:23 PM

Thank you. I'm having buyers regrets right now. The car also has a Distronic problem in that the cruise dies after approx 15 miles driving at night with it engaged.

In the day time the Distronic seems to work ok for 100 plus miles. Off to the dealer come next monday. Yes, thanks for keeping me informed as to how your problem turns out.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:33 AM

Quick update on my side.. the dealership called me and said they would repair the rims again for a 3rd time. So I drove over there and pretty much said give me four new rims or a new car. So they ordered them and are installing on Friday. I'll letcha know if the car rides significantly different after that.

I'm still concerned that this issue slipped past certification what else could an issue. One thing I've noticed is that the fuel economy seems real crappy to me so far. I'm getting between 12-14 MPG on mixed highway/city driving and i'm not pushing it too hard. I suppose it could be related to the bent rims but i'm not so sure that's the cause. You guys seeing this type of MPG as well for a 2011 Cl550 4matic? Is there something i can ask them to check out to make sure its running right?
Old 12-31-2014, 04:17 PM

That's good news on the wheels. The cost of those four wheels is almost the cost of a small new car. Phew! Hope it pans out for you.

I remember when my service adviser told me the car had three bent rims and they were going to straighten them out, I mumbled something about buying three new rims and he mentioned how one of those rims cost around 1500 bucks apiece, I relented and had the three straightened. I'm now/today happy with my CL and the Distronic 'issue' is fixed.