CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Window Tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 05:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S550V4 2001 S430 (Sold) 1976 450 SL
Window Tint

My '12 CL has tinted windows, including the windshield. I am second owner. When I first saw it, the windows were tinted very dark; looking out the rear window via the rear view mirror at noon was like looking out the rear window at midnight. I asked the seller to remove the tint. They did. There is still a tint. I asked the MB dlr. about whether there was ever a "factory" tint and the SA replied the CL or others never came w/ a factory tint. I cannot fathom two layers of tint. Plus, the one existing doesn't appear to be a film, but rather in the glass.

Does anyone know whether an "original" tint was ever available?

Or, was all tinting applied "after purchase"/"after market"?

Two pics attached show the current drivers window (contrasted to better show) and the upper left windshield on the drivers side, showing a "scraped" film. If not original to factory, I have to have the windshield one peeled, as the hole is distracting.

Any/all input asked.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Window Tint-20151025_175446.jpg   Window Tint-20151025_175225.jpg  
Old 10-28-2015, 10:36 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Presently 19 S560 SEDAN, 2014 XK, SOLD GLE 450e
The windows should have been acoustic laminated glass and that MIGHT be part of what you see.

Before I bought mine they replaced the windshield glass with a new one because of a beebee size nick in the bottom of the windshield.. I notice a bit of a difference b/t that windshield and a non acoustic laminated windshield.

Plus I had both right side windows replaced by factory MB glass by Safelite auto glass due to a BUM who broke those windows out in Rohnert Park Ca. He failed to break all the way though the glass though. Evidently he was inept at being a crook tool Those two windows have no tint like the left side windows. I've yet to have them tinted. The new glass has the MB logo on them (decal).

Bottom line is.............. I don't know the answer. Seems the factory glass was not tinted from my experience i.e. the new glass came non tinted although acoustic laminated glass.

Service advisor seems to be right.