08 CL550 Halogen to Ext White Lights!! No Errors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 550
Lightbulb 08 CL550 Halogen to Ext White Lights!! No Errors

I have a 2008 CL550....

Got all my exterior lights done and wanted to offer some help to others that want to do the upgrade...

First off... The trunk, license plate, puddle lights, side view mirror puddle lights and two parking standing lights are all 5 watt peanut wedge bulbs & take LEDs 194 and won't throw any errors... I got mine from AZN on here

I didn't mess with any of the blinkers... To me it was pointless...

The interior trunk lights & lower puddle one's were very easy... use a screwdriver and takes two seconds to replace... The trunk bulb will stay off when you replace... Just close it and it will light up again.

Headlights: you need D1S for your driving/low beams... You need 2 sets of H7 Diamond Vision Halogen bulbs for your cornering bulbs (the one's that only come on when you turn the wheel) & your fogs... No H11's.... and two 194 wedge LEDs for the lower eyelid and that one in the upper corner under the orange diffuser.

To replace the headlight bulbs and fogs... You will have to remove the bumper... To replace the side view mirror puddle bulbs you will have to pry off the glass etc... Exterior trunk you will have to remove the plastic and the felt liners along with the metal arm covers and unplug a couple harnesses.

Here's pics : ) and thank you AZN ~ These are Morimoto 5500k (not completely burned in yet to get to their perfect color.) Philips Diamond Vision & AZN's new Canbus LEDs... It was raining yesterday when I picked it up.

side view puddle

Just Before I got rid of the yellow halogens

Right when I picked her up

Like Ice Baby!

door puddle lights

yellow license plate bulbs before I started

lining the clips up was a little pain, but not that big of a deal

one clip came out easy... The other had to be ripped lol

after

The End... Let me know if you have any questions... I had a custom shop do the Front end and the Side View Puddles (felt like I was going to break my mirror, so I said better let them do it lol)... I did the rear and door puddles.... They charged me $200 and took them a few hours
Old 02-24-2016, 07:37 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Looks amazing. Really cleans up the look!
Old 10-03-2016, 01:05 AM

CL600 E55 / SL500
Perhaps you can assist me: 08 CL600 R/side Mirror will not adjust in or out; just up & down. I need your assistance in removing the cover & or mirror in order to change out the motor. I'm certain that is the issue...appreciate it..Jerry
Old 05-30-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
CL550
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jerryjerry
Perhaps you can assist me: 08 CL600 R/side Mirror will not adjust in or out; just up & down. I need your assistance in removing the cover & or mirror in order to change out the motor. I'm certain that is the issue...appreciate it..Jerry
Yes, that would be great to know as well.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2017, 10:35 PM

CL63
Originally Posted by Doc_Holliday
I have a 2008 CL550....

Got all my exterior lights done and wanted to offer some help to others that want to do the upgrade...

First off... The trunk, license plate, puddle lights, side view mirror puddle lights and two parking standing lights are all 5 watt peanut wedge bulbs & take LEDs 194 and won't throw any errors... I got mine from AZN on here

I didn't mess with any of the blinkers... To me it was pointless...

The interior trunk lights & lower puddle one's were very easy... use a screwdriver and takes two seconds to replace... The trunk bulb will stay off when you replace... Just close it and it will light up again.

Headlights: you need D1S for your driving/low beams... You need 2 sets of H7 Diamond Vision Halogen bulbs for your cornering bulbs (the one's that only come on when you turn the wheel) & your fogs... No H11's.... and two 194 wedge LEDs for the lower eyelid and that one in the upper corner under the orange diffuser.

To replace the headlight bulbs and fogs... You will have to remove the bumper... To replace the side view mirror puddle bulbs you will have to pry off the glass etc... Exterior trunk you will have to remove the plastic and the felt liners along with the metal arm covers and unplug a couple harnesses.

Here's pics : ) and thank you AZN ~ These are Morimoto 5500k (not completely burned in yet to get to their perfect color.) Philips Diamond Vision & AZN's new Canbus LEDs... It was raining yesterday when I picked it up.

side view puddle

Just Before I got rid of the yellow halogens

Right when I picked her up

Like Ice Baby!

door puddle lights

yellow license plate bulbs before I started

lining the clips up was a little pain, but not that big of a deal

one clip came out easy... The other had to be ripped lol

after

The End... Let me know if you have any questions... I had a custom shop do the Front end and the Side View Puddles (felt like I was going to break my mirror, so I said better let them do it lol)... I did the rear and door puddles.... They charged me $200 and took them a few hours

Great work mate (Y)

do you mind sharing the specs and pictures of the bulbs that you used ? and also do they have a load resistor with them ?....I'm on the same project of changing bulbs as well

The bulb dealer I chose said that it requires 5W to be error free and it had to be 2825's (this is a bulb not led)...I also had another set of led's they say 194 and they also sport a load resistor to stop the flashing and stuff.

I am particularly interested in the reverse lamps.

Cheers

Last edited by TheCLguy; 06-01-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 G55 AMG, 08 CL65 RennTech
Originally Posted by TheCLguy
Great work mate (Y)

do you mind sharing the specs and pictures of the bulbs that you used ? and also do they have a load resistor with them ?....I'm on the same project of changing bulbs as well

The bulb dealer I chose said that it requires 5W to be error free and it had to be 2825's (this is a bulb not led)...I also had another set of led's they say 194 and they also sport a load resistor to stop the flashing and stuff.

I am particularly interested in the reverse lamps.

Cheers
Have you figured it out? Trying to do the same.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:43 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

You'll need canbus bulbs for external lights to not trigger codes and function correctly. 2825/T10/w5w/194 are all the same wedge bulb, just different designation. Let us know if we can help
Old 07-11-2017, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by AZN Optics
You'll need canbus bulbs for external lights to not trigger codes and function correctly. 2825/T10/w5w/194 are all the same wedge bulb, just different designation. Let us know if we can help

Yeh man, I'm a layman. Would need to know specifically which ones I need exactly so I can purchase them and have my mechanic install them.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:46 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Originally Posted by romebe
Yeh man, I'm a layman. Would need to know specifically which ones I need exactly so I can purchase them and have my mechanic install them.
Ok, so your front parking lights, rear plate, and sidemarkers all use our 194 canbus wedge LEDs:

http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=114

If you're looking to upgrade the stock xenon bulbs if they're reaching end of life, you'll need D2S HID bulbs:
http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...products_id=72

If you want to upgrade your fogs, you can install an HID conversion kit:
http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...products_id=65
Old 07-11-2017, 10:00 PM

Ok, so your front parking lights, rear plate, and sidemarkers all use our 194 canbus wedge LEDs:

If you're looking to upgrade the stock xenon bulbs if they're reaching end of life, you'll need D2S HID bulbs:

Thanks bro, and also how about the one pictured under the white light (where it's LED) is there any bulb that changes it to the daylight white?

Old 07-11-2017, 10:10 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Thanks bro, and also how about the one pictured under the white light (where it's LED) is there any bulb that changes it to the daylight white?

stock integrated LEDs unfortunately cannot be swapped out (unless you want to take it apart and solder new SMDs).
Old 07-12-2017, 12:00 AM

Thanks for your help, I just purchased a set of xenons and 2 sets of 194 Canbus from your site. I wouldn't mind upgrading the fogs in the future but the price scares me a little, plus it looks more complicated in terms of installation. Are there any specific installation instructions to change the xenon headlights?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:10 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Thanks for your help, I just purchased a set of xenons and 2 sets of 194 Canbus from your site. I wouldn't mind upgrading the fogs in the future but the price scares me a little, plus it looks more complicated in terms of installation. Are there any specific installation instructions to change the xenon headlights?
nothing special... Plug and play
Old 01-09-2019, 04:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2007 CL550
Hey just wondering if anyone here can post an update? How are these bulbs holding up over time? Any burning out or any melted plastic in the housing? Want to upgrade to LED but want to make sure I buy the right bulbs and last and don't cause error messages.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:45 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
2010 CL550

(the ones circled in black)what are these lights called? what kind of bulbs do they use?
Old 01-09-2019, 07:48 PM

2007 CL550
I know they are 194. I believe all 3 bulbs in the front take 194. Parking, blinker, and sidemarker.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:49 PM

2010 CL550
Originally Posted by 07CL550Benz
I know they are 194. I believe all 3 bulbs in the front take 194. Parking, blinker, and sidemarker.
i thought they were sidemarkers too but now im not sure.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:51 PM

2007 CL550
Yeah I'd check on my car but I've got the headlights out right now. Want to find LED's to put in but need to make sure I get the right ones so I don't have to take the bumper and headlights out again for a long time.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:53 AM

2007 CL550
Ok, I believe I figured it out, somebody correct me if I'm wrong...The lights you circled are the turn signals and are 194's. I tested some old VLEDs and they actually did work with no error message (unlike when I tried the same bulb in the rear license plate light). As for the top bulb (also 194). I believe the same bulb powers both the sidemarker and parking light. So only 2 bulbs are needed and not 3.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:41 AM

2010 CL550
Originally Posted by 07CL550Benz
Ok, I believe I figured it out, somebody correct me if I'm wrong...The lights you circled are the turn signals and are 194's. I tested some old VLEDs and they actually did work with no error message (unlike when I tried the same bulb in the rear license plate light). As for the top bulb (also 194). I believe the same bulb powers both the sidemarker and parking light. So only 2 bulbs are needed and not 3.
Hmm, my cL is in the shop right now so I can’t even check, but if they were the turn signal bulbs, wouldn’t they light orange/Amber? I want mine to look exactly like the ones circled, bright white.