CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Chasis number understanding and problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL63
Chasis number understanding and problems

From what I know is that there are three variants of the engine for the cl-class....but what I do not know is how to interpret the engine code and the region/market that the car was intended for.

I would highly appreciate the help...and also appreciate if someone could link me to the thread where the problems related to the CL500/CL63 2007-2010 are listed.

Cheers
Old 09-11-2016, 10:08 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
There were 4 engines
1) CL500 (same as CL550 in US and Japan) V8
2) CL63 AMG V8
3) CL600 V12
4) CL65 AMG V12

Early CL500/CL550 had a potential problem with a timing chain sprocket that failed on some vehicles and required an expensive repair if not under warranty.

One area for concern is failure of the air bladders in the front seats. This can cost several thousand dollars to repair. The overall reliability is similar to the W221 S class which has the same electronics and mechanical systems.

The later year CL500/CL550 was available with 4matic ONLY in the USA. You might have problems with the GPS if you get a vehicle not configured for your country. Check with a local dealer or well qualified indy to verify they can reconfigure a potential vehicle for your country.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:50 AM

CL63
Originally Posted by steveb9771
There were 4 engines
1) CL500 (same as CL550 in US and Japan) V8
2) CL63 AMG V8
3) CL600 V12
4) CL65 AMG V12

Early CL500/CL550 had a potential problem with a timing chain sprocket that failed on some vehicles and required an expensive repair if not under warranty.

One area for concern is failure of the air bladders in the front seats. This can cost several thousand dollars to repair. The overall reliability is similar to the W221 S class which has the same electronics and mechanical systems.

The later year CL500/CL550 was available with 4matic ONLY in the USA. You might have problems with the GPS if you get a vehicle not configured for your country. Check with a local dealer or well qualified indy to verify they can reconfigure a potential vehicle for your country.
Thank mate....I've read a lot and its a very significant problem which has bothered thousands of people, where many have chosen to leave it damaged coz of the cost associated with its repair.

The thing is that I'm looking for a used CL at the moment, 07-09 in particular and at this point, the problems are the most part of my concern other than the cost of buying the car itself. I read off that the CL is actually among the top 10 most expensive cars to maintain (along with the lines of Range Rover)....somewhere on the forum I read someone spending $3 a mile...which is staggering for a 2011 model...as the model I'm looking for is even older

Among other things that I know is that there are issues with the ABC system which are a pain

now since I am looking for a 07-09 model....I am expecting the mileage to be somewhere around 100K-150K kilometers (60K miles - 95K miles)....I would be very grateful of you if you could help me by letting me know of a few things that should definitely be changed by the time the mentioned miles a covered....like what things should def. be changed by lets say, 75K miles.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:59 PM

2007 CL550
Maintenance is identical so that for the W221 S class which has a lot more information available. There are only a few reports with the ABC system. I did have a hose break. Your cost of $3 per mile for maintenance is much greater that that experienced by most owners. The CL65 might approach this since the cost of parts for a brake job alone can approach $5000 while the cost of parts for a CL500/CL550 is a few hundred dollars. CL500 and CL550 are the same vehicle, only change in name for USA and Japan. Routine maintenance consists primarily or oil changes once a year or 10,000 miles which costs less than $180 at Southern California dealers. My own experience has been less than $0.10 per mile for repairs other than routine maintenance. Tires can easily cost $1600 for a set of 4.

The one major item that needs to be checked is the transmission should have been serviced at about 40,000 miles (no required routine service after this is specified). Spark plugs should be replaced as the vehicle approaches 80,000 miles. Also verify that no performance modifications have been made to the engine such as changing the electronic ignition to achieve more power which would put more strain on the drive train. Vehicles with oversize wheels could put stress on the suspension. These vehicles cane with either 18 inch or 19 inch wheels. Some people have replaced them with 22 inch wheels which definitely puts more stress on the vehicle.

Other than the AMG models, these vehicles are not that expensive to maintain. These vehicles are expensive to insure in the USA unless you are older and have an accident free record and a long term relationship with an insurance company.
The following users liked this post:
TheCLguy (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 11:12 AM

CL63
Maintenance is identical so that for the W221 S class which has a lot more information available. There are only a few reports with the ABC system. I did have a hose break. Your cost of $3 per mile for maintenance is much greater that that experienced by most owners. The CL65 might approach this since the cost of parts for a brake job alone can approach $5000 while the cost of parts for a CL500/CL550 is a few hundred dollars. CL500 and CL550 are the same vehicle, only change in name for USA and Japan. Routine maintenance consists primarily or oil changes once a year or 10,000 miles which costs less than $180 at Southern California dealers. My own experience has been less than $0.10 per mile for repairs other than routine maintenance. Tires can easily cost $1600 for a set of 4.

The one major item that needs to be checked is the transmission should have been serviced at about 40,000 miles (no required routine service after this is specified). Spark plugs should be replaced as the vehicle approaches 80,000 miles. Also verify that no performance modifications have been made to the engine such as changing the electronic ignition to achieve more power which would put more strain on the drive train. Vehicles with oversize wheels could put stress on the suspension. These vehicles cane with either 18 inch or 19 inch wheels. Some people have replaced them with 22 inch wheels which definitely puts more stress on the vehicle.

Other than the AMG models, these vehicles are not that expensive to maintain. These vehicles are expensive to insure in the USA unless you are older and have an accident free record and a long term relationship with an insurance company.
should I look for ABC related work as a necessity ?...plus at what miles do you have the major services due ? and their approx worth would be helpful...cheers
Old 09-14-2016, 12:56 AM

2007 CL550
There is no major service. The only special items are a one time transmission service at about 40,000 miles and replacement of spark plugs every 80,000 miles. Regular service is periodic oil and filter changes along with tires and brakes as needed.

AMG vehicles require more service. CL600 and Cl65 engine repairs can be quite expensive. They use ignition coil packs that are very expensive to replace.

The big unknown is what is going to fail and require repair in the future. Other than a ruptured hose, I have experienced no ABC problems. Other problems include failure of the seat air bladders.

Have a dealer check the VIN number of any candidate vehicles to verify there are no outstanding service campaigns (Mercedes nomenclature for service bulletins) that have not been performed and if there is any cost involved.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:39 AM

CL63
There is no major service. The only special items are a one time transmission service at about 40,000 miles and replacement of spark plugs every 80,000 miles. Regular service is periodic oil and filter changes along with tires and brakes as needed.

AMG vehicles require more service. CL600 and Cl65 engine repairs can be quite expensive. They use ignition coil packs that are very expensive to replace.

The big unknown is what is going to fail and require repair in the future. Other than a ruptured hose, I have experienced no ABC problems. Other problems include failure of the seat air bladders.

Have a dealer check the VIN number of any candidate vehicles to verify there are no outstanding service campaigns (Mercedes nomenclature for service bulletins) that have not been performed and if there is any cost involved.
alright...sounds good..Ill take your word for it and choose the cl500 over the cl63 & cl65

by the way....I'd like to have an honest opinion....do you think that buying a 2007 cl500/550 is a good option, knowing that 2016 is coming to an end and that the car will soon be 10 years old ?

I know you must have spent quite some time with your car as of now..but if you were standing to buy the same model today...would you go for it, knowing that its about to be 10 years old ?

we all know that a car above 6-7 years starts some problems...so I feel like I need an opinion on this one since its 10 years old now !!
Old 09-17-2016, 08:39 PM

2007 CL550
I plan to keep mine for a few more years since it still looks like and rides like a new vehicle. Anything less than an S class coupe would be a downgrade. I like how it rides with ABC which is only available in the US on the CL65 for over $200K. Be sure that the transmission was serviced at about 40,000 miles on any candidate vehicle. Good luck in finding a well maintained CL500. Ideally have it checked out by a dealer before you purchase it.

Last edited by steveb9771; 09-17-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:23 PM

CL63
I plan to keep mine for a few more years since it still looks like and rides like a new vehicle. Anything less than an S class coupe would be a downgrade. I like how it rides with ABC which is only available in the US on the CL65 for over $200K. Be sure that the transmission was serviced at about 40,000 miles on any candidate vehicle. Good luck in finding a well maintained CL500. Ideally have it checked out by a dealer before you purchase it.

alright......thanks for the well wishes