2009 CL550 differentail issues??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mercedes E350
2009 CL550 differentail issues??

YES I KNOW I SPELLED DIFFERENTIAL WRONG ON THE TITLE I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE
In my 2009 CL550, which is in fact 4matic, but i have a question, when the wheel is EVEN ever so slightly turned, the car hesitates, (such as if you would have a truck in 4x4 and try to turn the steering wheel on dry pavement and it would hesitate and kind of jump because of the gearing thats binding in the diff)...i know this would happen when the wheel is turned all the way maxed out to one side, then i could understand feeling it ever so slightly, because i have a 2016 Lexus RC300 which is also AWD and i know when i turn the steering wheel all the way to the LEFT or RIGHT then i DO in-fact feel the hesitation but its really slightly so i barely feel it, but if I'm feeling for it then i DO feel it. BUT In the Mercedes CL550 i feel that hesitation/little jump even turning the wheel ever so slightly, so I'm not sure if thats not normal or not suppose to be that way, i kind of dont think I'm suppose to feel it even when i turn the steering wheel slightly to the LEFT or RIGHT, ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED!! Thanks in advance ppl!!

Last edited by vette0624; 11-07-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:05 AM

2009 Mercedes E350
Just to add some info.....

I replaced both front axles, and problem is still there, i dont know if maybe someone before me had different size wheels on the car and screwed up the front differential, but if someone tells me that they think it IS the front diff, i will buy a new diff from a dealer and replace it and have no more problems, BUT i would like someone to tell me its deff the DIFF before i spend $2,500 on buying a new one!
Old 11-07-2016, 02:45 PM

2009 Mercedes E350
BUMP.....Does no one else understand what the problem could be? or did no one else have this problem with there cars before? Id really appreciate someones help understanding what else it could be other then the differential, if anyone knows or had this problem please write some info, even if its a reach, it still might help me solve this issue!!! Thanks again in advance everyone!!

Last edited by vette0624; 11-07-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Mercedes Benz CL 550
Its hard to diagnose a problem without the car in front of me. Be more specific about the issue and explain exactly what it is you experience when it happens. Ive read your post and it seems you are feeling some resistance when accelerating? And this thing you are feeling is it in the drive train? Or is the feeling something is binding in the steering?
My advice is dont spend any money on it until you are sure there is a significant problem. Ive worked on Benz 40 yrs so I could drive a car and tell you 100 things about it in 5 mins just from the way it feels. In your case even a loose tie rod or suspension component could cause what you are feeling as the tires are not rolling exactly as they should. But all of this is speculation. You need to get a couple of opinions from technicians that work on MB daily. Also have them look up any TSB's that there may be on the issue. This is always a good start. Then do a complete inspection of the vehicle mainly looking at front end parts and drive Line parts. Look at the tires, is there any irregular wear? Irregular wear is an indication of worn parts and or out of alignment. Just dont start throwing parts on the car in hopes of hitting the problem. A proper diagnosis is needed and only then would I spend money if the source is credible and reputable. Even a second opinion may be warranted depending on what they are recommending for the repair. Please keep us posted on what they say is the problem.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Mercedes Benz CL 550
TSB's are Technical Service Bulletins